Sunset, An Evening Star

Keith stood in the old playground he and Lance used to play in. He thought more about it after the eventful lunch, and realized with a broken heart, he and Lance had a chance.

Then they didn't.

He stared at the bracelet Lance gave them when they were kids. Why didn't he notice it before? It matched Lance's description, just it was older and worn out. He sighed,"The hell?" He played with it in his fingers.

"O-Oh, I didn't think you'd be here!" Keith swung his head around. It was early morning and there was a sunset, before school. He wore his black coat and his red earmuffs were around his neck because of the autumn cold.

Why is Lance here?

Lance smiled and his cheeks were red long with his nose. Puffs of breath escaped his mouth as he breathed and he rubbed his gloved hands together. His scarf covered his neck and blue coat provided him little warmth. Keith shoved the bracelet in his tiny pocket, which he didn't notice slipped out and fell on the pebbles. "I...like this place. Why are you here?" Lance let out a breath threw his nose and smiled, facing the sunset,"I used to play here with my childhood friend." Keith's eyes had a glint of hope,"I thought you gave up on them?" Lance shrugged,"I did, I'm just feeling bittersweet." Keith sighed,"Yeah, I see." He bit his cheek. "There's someone else, right?" Lance nodded, smiling gleefully,"Yeah, he's...everything." Keith felt a pang in his chest. 

"A-Are you gonna tell him?" Keith rubbed the nape of his neck, hoping his jealousy wasn't showing too much. Lance didn't have a reaction. Keith quirked an eyebrow,"Lance?" Lance turned around,"I'm not good with words." He took a single step forward, then after one second, another. Keith shuddered seeing the soft expression on his face. 

"I tend to approach people with actions. Impulsive sometimes, yes." Lance gently placed a hand on his chest with silent confidence," Scary? Yes, a lot. I don't want to risk rejection with him, but I don't want to lose a chance either." He bent down and picked up a few pebbles that slid through his hand and clutched the last remaining ones. He smiled and suddenly realized how close they were,"While you see a chance, take it." Lance looked up and faced him, straight in the eye. "I know that with him, it might be worth it." 

Keith felt his face burn, no longer really cold. He let out a breath and the white puff appeared,"Lance." His voice was quiet and wanting. His hands subconsciously raised and gently placed themselves on Lance's waist. He had wanted this for so long. Waiting and waiting, Lance's coming and going crush after crush.

Was it his turn?

"Lance, hurry your ass UP. I've been waiting for 5 minutes! School's gonna start!" Lance looked down and pursed his lips,"Ah." He chuckled,"That's my sister, Veronica. I-I should probably go." Keith immediately let go of him before Lance noticed. Lance's hand dropped from Keith. Keith watched him walk up the sloped hill and get into the barely seen blue car.

Lance snapped the door shut. Veronica played her to-go coffee,"Who's your long-haired friend?" Lance opened his clenched hand that revealed a few dusty pebbles and a light pink moon bracelet.

"My childhood friend."

~To Be Continued