Chapter 17

Still sittin' on the porch, I hear the front door open an' by the sound of the person's footfall, it must be Pa. Feelin' a hand firmly squeeze my shoulder, I know I guessed right. He lets outta a sigh as he pulls out the chair across from me an' sits down. Glancin' up, I find him watchin' me with a thoughtful look on his face.

"It didn't go like you thought it would, did it?"

"What'd you mean, Pa?"

"I'm pretty sure I know why you asked Leo out here and why she ran back in the house and up to her room crying." Leanin' his chair back, he crosses his arms over his chest.

"She ran up to her room cryin'"

"Yep." He for some reason has a satisfied look on his face, a look that makes me feel angry an' uncomfortable. "You told her you loved her, didn't you?"

"No, dadburn it, I didn't!"

"Why not?"

"Cuz she ain't in love with me." I stand up an' begin to pace in front of Pa's study window. "She told me that right here in this very spot not ten minutes ago. She told me she cain't love again an' that she cares for me like a friend."

"But you don't believe that."

"No, Pa, I don't."

"What makes you so sure?"

"Well, last night after Cherry fell back asleep we were both so happy that we were both cryin' an' I guess I let my happiness somehow take control of me cuz I..." I quickly sit back down, my face flamin' in embarrassment.

"You kissed her." He says it so matter of factly that all I can do is nod. "And because of that kiss and probably something you heard in her voice or saw in her face just now makes you think that what she feels for you is more than friendship."

"Yeah." I sigh. "But I don't know how to make her admit those feelin's or let her see that she can love again."

"It's quite simple."

"How?"

"What's something that means more than the world to her?"

"Her two little 'uns."

"Exactly."

"But how are Cherry an' Jeff a part of this?"

"You show her that she can love again and not only love again, but love specifically you, by loving her two children." I nod. "They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, well the way to Leo's heart is through her children. And you know what, you can start loving those two even more right now! Hop Sing needs a bunch of fresh trout for supper tonight and you're the man to catch them all. Why not take Jeff along? Fishing always seemed like a good bonding experience, well at least it was for us."

"Alright, Pa." We both stand up. "I sure hope you're right 'bout this."

"Don't worry, just watch and you'll see."