FOURTEEN

Whitney awoke with a smile as wide as the Missouri River. Well, at least that was how it felt. It didn't matter that she hadn't gotten much rest during the night, but then it didn't matter. She had a different outlook on things today. She'd found a man who loved her even though she was crippled with a limp, and as a bonus, he enjoyed working with her to catch thieves and outlaws. Things couldn't get any better than that.

Connie was more than happy to spy on Cora. Although Whitney wanted to watch the woman outside her nice home, she wouldn't be able to hear what the mayor's wife was talking about to her servants or husband. However, Connie decided to take first watch. She would follow Cora this morning. Whitney would wait around in town for when the wealthy woman made her grand and overwhelming appearance to everyone who was afraid of her, and that was when Whitney would continue spying while Connie changed clothes.

The plan was good, and Whitney had confidence that they were going to find something on the woman. After all, Cora was so full of herself and scared most of the people in town, she wouldn't suspect anyone trying to spy on her in hopes of finding a reason to have her arrested. Whitney was sure the mayor's wife would try to bribe the judge. That was also an offense and could get her arrested.

For this afternoon's excursion, Whitney wore a lovely short-sleeved red dress with black trim, and a beige sash that wrapped around her waist. She fashioned her hair in a loose bun with a few tendrils spiraling down her neck. To add the finishing touches, she placed a red flower in her hair. She wanted to look her best for Jake. When he stared at her with warm emotion in his gaze, it made her feel desirable. She couldn't wait to feel that way again today when she saw him. Of course, as long as Cora walked by the docks, then Jake would see Whitney.

She truly loved Jake Sterling. She loved how dedicated he was to his job, and that he had a kind heart and wanted to help others. Hopefully, he would never change. She loved him completely.

Today had beautiful fall weather, and she brought a warm shawl to keep her arms covered. It surprised her that she didn't need her cane, but she brought it just in case she had to use it to bop someone over the head – or use it for the sword inside. Either way, having the cane as she limped slowly for her stroll through town made some of the townsfolk turn their heads. She should be used to that by now. People couldn't deal with someone with a disability, and they would rather no look at her and pretend she was invisible. She didn't know which one was worse... being invisible or gawked at like a freak. Having Jake in her life was a blessing because she didn't feel like an outcast, but a desirous woman.

The first place of business Whitney walked into was the bakery. The scent of cinnamon sticky buns wafted around her, making her stomach growl. She definitely needed this delicious treat to give her more energy.

After paying for the bun, she moved to a table by the window. Someone had left the newspaper lying on the table, so she picked it up and scanned the news for today. Of course, it was too soon for the Liberty Bell statue to be noticed, or if someone had noticed it, the excitement probably missed the printing of the newspaper. That was all right. It could share the headlines with the capture of infamous outlaw, Walter Conrad – along with the saving of the rubies thanks to the U.S. Marshal.

Whitney smiled before taking another bite of her pastry. She hadn't returned the items Alan had stolen to get recognition in the newspaper, but it made her happy to know that others were thrilled to have their items back. The satisfaction of doing this to others made her want to continue to give and help others in need. She would just have to find a different way to do it rather than stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.

Today Cora Daley dressed in a deep emerald velvet day dress, wearing too many rings on her fingers, and around her neck was a pearl necklace. Even the hairpins in the mayor wife's hair appeared to be diamond studded.