SEVEN

Whitney quickly braided her hair and twisted it up into a loose-fitting bun. During the ride last night, she had a feeling that Marshal Sterling was suspicious of her. There was no other way around it. She had to change her direction. Instead of trying to hide from him, she would convince him that she wasn't a thief, but just a lonely innocent woman who found him interesting. Which really, wasn't far from the truth.

Knowing that he had found her attractive the night of the party a year ago, gave her more incentive to use this to her advantage. She would convince him that she wasn't a thief. Well, not now anyway. Of course, she prayed he didn't know about her past.

Whitney dressed in a lavender dress with a square neckline. The material of the dress felt much better against her skin than the men's trousers she wore last night. Thankfully her leg didn't ache as it had done last night. She would leave her cane here. There was a café just two businesses away from the hotel, so walking with the handsome Marshal would be just what the doctor ordered.

As she walked down the hallway to the stairs, her stomach tingled with excitement and butterflies danced in her chest. She rubbed her stomach to stop these erratic feelings. Her body shouldn't act this way. Being with Jake Sterling this morning was just a ruse. Yet, she had to admit that the man could make her smile by just thinking about him.

When she reached the lobby, her insides were twisting nervously. How could she lie to him? He would see right through her. As she turned into the lobby, she saw the broad shoulders of the marshal as he watched out the front window. Her mouth turned dry, causing her to quickly clear her throat.

Marshal Sterling must have seen her reflection on the window because he turned. His mustache had been trimmed, and she liked seeing him this way. He wore the same beige duster, but his shirt was blue, and the color looked good on him. His gaze slowly moved over her, and he grinned.

"Good morning, Mrs. Brooks." He stepped toward her.

"Good morning, as well, Marshal." She met him halfway. "I was thinking we could just go eat at that little café down the street."

His grin stretched wider. "That's the very place I was thinking about, too."

Marshal Sterling opened the door for her and let her step outside first. Passing by him, she inhaled his leathery cologne scent. Her legs weakened. I will not swoon! Perhaps she should have brought her cane just in case.

"I see you are walking much better today," he said. "You are also so much more attractive than you were last night."

"Why, Marshal, thank you." Her cheeks warmed from his compliment. It had been years since a man had noticed her, or at least mentioned it. After she'd married Alan, he had stopped giving her compliments. It felt good to hear those words from Jake.

"Please, call me Jake." He offered her his arm.

Whitney hooked her hand over his arm. "I would like that very much. And you must call me Whitney. I haven't felt like a Mrs. since my husband died."

"How long has it been since your husband died?"

"It's been a little over two years." She sighed. "I found it strange how much I discovered about my husband after he was dead that I never knew before."

Jake glanced down at her, and his eyebrows scrunched together. "Was he hiding things from you?"

"Many things," Whitney replied. "I've been trying to right his wrongs over the past year."

"You are indeed a good woman with a kind heart." Jake patted her hand as they walked.

She gritted her teeth. Was she truly a good woman as he had suggested? Sometimes she thought she was doing right by returning the pieces Alan had stolen, but then, she also did some stealing herself, which wasn't good at all – even if she was trying to help others.