ELEVEN

Whitney relaxed in the cushioned chair – the only nice piece of furniture in this hotel. Then again, she hadn't chosen the nicest place to stay while she and Connie went about their business in Fort Benton. But at least this chair was comfortable enough for her rest in. She was plumb tuckered out, even though she thoroughly enjoyed herself with Jake.

Catching the bank robber had been thrilling. Of course, when she realized Jake was in trouble, anger and fear had pumped through her and she acted purely on instinct. For a moment, Jake had peered at her as if she had been possessed by something evil as she gave Leroy the wallopin' he deserved. Thankfully, Jake had returned to looking at her with his irresistible green eyes and making her breathless, once again.

Indeed, he was a fine man. He'd make some girl a wonderful husband. If only that girl was her. She prayed that Jake would understand why she had to steal from the rich and give to the poor, and he would forgive her and overlook her mistakes – especially now that she was changing. And if she could kiss him a few more times like they'd done in the alleyway, perhaps that would soften his heart and he wouldn't want to arrest her.

Groaning, she rubbed her forehead. What was she thinking? He was a U.S. Marshal. It was his job to catch outlaws. He would arrest her, toss her in jail, and throw away the key for lying to him. So, she wouldn't tell him at all. No matter how much she wanted to trust him, she would keep her trap shut and not say a word. And she wouldn't allow him to melt her heart. She really had the worst luck with men.

A knock came upon her hotel room door. She sat up straight. The fast beat of her heart made her wonder if it was Jake coming to finish what they had started in the alleyway. After all, she left his side when he escorted Leroy to jail.

She swallowed hard to moisten her suddenly dry throat. "Who is it?"

"Whit, it's me, Connie."

Whitney blew out a heavy breath as disappointment washed over her. She shouldn't want to be excited when she was with Jake, but it happened anyway. "The door is open."

Connie walked into the room, wearing an expression full of excitement. Whitney's friend rushed to her side and sat on the wooden chair next to her.

"Whit, you won't believe what I discovered."

Whitney's friend wasn't usually this way, so whatever it was that Connie found out, must be very good.

"Connie, please tell me that City Hall is closing for a few days so that I can return that Liberty Bell statue."

Connie frowned. "No, not that, but we'll get to that soon, I promise." Connie took hold of Whitney's hand. "I just found out that rubies will be coming on the steamboat from Kansas City tomorrow." There was a slight pause before Connie grinned. "Do you know what this means?"

Whitney shrugged. "Someone is going to be very rich soon?"

"Yes, someone is." Connie nodded.

"Please don't stall," Whitney said. "Tell me who is going to be rich."

"The dock workers." Connie's eyebrows wagged.

Confusion filled Whitney. "I'm not following."

"We can steal the rubies and give them to the dock workers. That will be a good way to get back at the mayor's wife for what she did to those unfortunate, hardworking men who lost their jobs."

Interest piqued inside Whitney. The idea did have merit, but... She frowned. No, she couldn't. She wouldn't! "Connie, have you forgotten that I'm turning over a new leaf? I don't want to be a thief any longer."