TEN

Leroy swung the shovel again, but Jake ducked out of the way. He wasn't ready to give up yet. However, ducking from the swinging shovel would only work for so long.

If this man wanted to fight Jake, he'd show the man how U.S. Marshals like to play. Grabbing another shovel that was against the next stall, Jake swung at Leroy. The two tools clanged loudly together.

Thankfully, Jake was a stronger man than Leroy. After the next swing, Jake's shovel connected with Leroy's leg, crumbling him to the ground. Leroy dropped his shovel and whipped out his gun from the holster. Jake couldn't believe he'd forgotten to disarm the thief. Hopefully the shovel would stop any bullets the come his way.

With shaking hands, Leroy scrambled back toward the stall, pointing the gun at Jake. Just then, the high-pitched scream of a woman ripped through the livery. Leroy's head turned toward the sound before Jake could look to see who was attacking them.

Looking like a wild-woman, Whitney held her cane above her head as she rushed toward Leroy. She was closer than Jake would have suspected since he hadn't noticed her until now. But she held her cane like an Indian going into war. Leroy must have been so surprised, because he didn't move – except for the widening of his eyes.

Whitney struck her cane against Leroy's hand, and the gun dropped to the ground. But she didn't stop there. She aimed her strikes against the bank robber's head. Leroy shielded his arms, trying to block her, but the cane merely just struck a different target. The man cried out and rolled away, but Whitney kept after him, striking him again and again.

Jake snapped out of the shock her appearance – and actions – had put him under. He dropped his shovel and hurried to her, wrapped his arms around her waist, and moved her away from the man with the bloody arms.

"Jake," she gasped and glanced over her shoulder. "Why did you stop me? I was just finding my rhythm."

"Yes, I know, but I would like him alive, if you don't mind." Jake tried not to grin, but it was difficult to stop his mouth from stretching wider. The Whitney he'd kissed not too long ago was nothing like the Banshee he held now.

"But..." Whitney looked back at Leroy. Her breaths were fast and uneven. "He deserves a good wallopin'."

Jake chuckled. "He does, and you gave it to him. But I need him able to talk so I can find out where his leader is. Both bank robbers were hired by someone, and I want to know where that man is."

Whitney's body relaxed against his chest. He kept hold of her as he stepped toward Leroy's gun and kicked it across the floor to the other side of the barn. He glanced down at Whitney who still glared at Leroy.

She expelled a heavy sigh. "Did he have the stolen money on him?"

"Not on him, but he told me it's tied up to the stall." Jake pointed toward the bag of money.

She pulled away from him and leaned heavily on her cane. Jake knew she hadn't had it with her after they had left the hotel, so how did she get it?

For a split second, his thoughts returned to his first suspicions of Whitney being teamed up with Conrad. Was she here for the money, or to try and protect Jake even though he told her he didn't need her help?

Although he wanted to believe she wasn't a thief, he watched her walk to the stall and untie the bag of money from the post. His heart sank as realization filled him. She had only ridden after Leroy to get the money. Whitney had made Jake believe the kiss was special and meant something, or was that just his fantasy coming into play? No, she was a thief, just as he originally thought. He had allowed her beauty and charm to trick him, once again.