THREE

Jake strolled along the boardwalk in Fort Benton, hoping to not look obvious as he studied each person in passing. Then, from across the street, exciting the local bank, he saw her – the rose in the desert. Her blonde ringlets flowed down her back and bounced ever so slightly as she walked. A pink and white day dress fit snuggly around her bosom and hips, and she wore a matching bonnet. Strange, but Jake thought the woman looked out of place.

He watched as the cowboys tipped their hats as she passed by, unescorted. She walked with confidence in each step. Jake nodded his head as excitement rushed through him. This woman fit the description perfectly from his resources. Following her would lead him to Walter Conrad for sure.

Jake crossed the street, keeping his distance. She strolled along the walk, looking in windows and occasionally giving a wave. Jake assumed that she's been here for a while. So maybe Walter comes and goes. This must be his hiding spot.

The woman stopped in front of a tavern then quickly turned around. Her gaze was right on him. This woman's beauty was indeed something any man would love to daydream about. But not him. He suspected she worked with Conrad, so in his eyes, she wasn't pretty at all.

She stepped toward him. His day had been made. Thank heavens he wouldn't have to comb the streets looking for the desert rose. Now to think of something clever to say.

"If you're going to be following me, you ought to take off your boots," she replied, smiling. Holding out her hand to him. "My name is Cora."

Jake took her hand in his, bringing it to his lips for a sweet kiss on the knuckles. Hopefully his charm will convince her to tell him where Conrad was hiding.

"Sorry, ma'am," Jake said. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"Oh, no, I'm not scared," she replied. "You are new here. Are you staying or just passing by?"

"I'm passing through, but I'll be here for a few days. Jake Starling at your service." He tipped his hat, and decided to give her a false name, just in case she had heard his name in her travels. "Would you by chance know of a decent place I can stay?"

"Why, of course, Mr. Starling. I'm headed that way. Why don't you walk with me?"

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Oh, please, everyone calls me Cora."

"You've been in Fort Benton long?" he asked.

"Yes, for at least five years. It's a lovey place. Have you seen the steamboats yet?"

"No, I haven't made it to the pier yet."

"One day, this little town will be booming, I just know it." Cora smiled at Jake. "What brings you to Fort Benton?"

Jake figured he'd stick to the same story as before. It seemed safe enough. "My cousin. He told me to meet him here. Either I'm here earlier than he is, or he's hiding."

"Lucky for you, Mr. Starling, I make it my business to know everyone who comes into Fort Benton. What does he look like?"

"He's about my height. The last time I saw him, he had a beard, but he might be clean shaven by now. He's got dark red hair." Jake could see her expression slightly change. Her smile lessened a bit.

"Oh, yes. I have seen him." She shook her head. "Mr. Starling, your cousin is a ruckus maker. The sheriff sent him away. He's only allowed back in town if he doesn't drink whiskey. I sure hope you aren't like him, Mr. Starling."

"I prefer to stay sober," Jake replied. If Walter Conrad was kicked out of town, would he still be lingering about somewhere?

They stopped in front of a two-story building. On the front had the words Fort Benton Hotel. She walked up to the door, Jake opened it for her and allowed her to go first. The bell jingled as they door opened. When the desk clerk saw them enter, a frightened look covered the man's face, making wrinkles appear on his forehead, which made him appear much older. Jake assumed the man was in his mid-thirties, but not now. The poor man's face turned white.