SUFFER -• PART TWO

As the air felt thick with smoke and ash, Gabriella stood quietly near the edge of the river as her eyes slowly watched the water lap on the rocks

As the air felt thick with smoke and ash, Gabriella stood quietly near the edge of the river as her eyes slowly watched the water lap on the rocks. It felt like the day was never going to end as everyone around her quietly made their way back to the compound, their hearts heavy and their bodies weak. As people offered her a hand to join them on the walk back, Gabriella refused sadly with her head pounding as she politely asked to be left alone. Slowly crouching down to run her fingers along the water, her chest tightens slightly as she realises what was to come. The heartache she was feeling no longer became just about the attack, but about the fact that she would have to say goodbye to Druig.

Pulling her hand from the water, Gabriella sighs softly as she eventually stands and begins to step back towards the forest. As her eyes stung gently, she felt herself suddenly overcome with exhaustion as she lets her thoughts linger over everything that had happened and was about to happen. It felt as if she knew it was going to kill her to send him away, but she couldn't ask him to stay, she wouldn't. So with another soft sigh, Gabriella spins on her heels slowly before heading towards the compound as her chest begins to ache.

Feeling her lips part slightly as she gently crosses her arms against her chest, Gabriella's eye focus on Druig who was leaning against a tree just before the entrance of the compound. Watching his eyes look up from the ground slowly, Gabriella feels herself frown as his body pushes from the tree calmly before turning to look at her. Taking a deep breath, she bites at her bottom lip before continuing towards him as he lifts his hand slowly as if he was calling to her, no words needed. Reaching a hand to take his, Druig delicately pulls her into him as Gabriella feels him place a soft kiss on her forehead, making her shudder sadly.

"My love."

"Have you been waiting long?" Gabriella questions quietly as he hums a no in response, "I didn't notice how long I stayed by the river. Are you okay?"

"I wanted to ask you, if you're okay," Druig comments softly leaning back against the tree as he fiddles with her hand, "but, I already know the answer, sadly."

"What did I tell you about going through my head," Gabriella replies mildly as he lets out a soft chuckle spinning her hand lightly in his fingers, "but, you know that's not what we have to talk about, right?"

"Can we not have a few moments of normality?" he questions as his tone flattens slightly, "must we only talk of more sadness today?"

"Do you think I want this? Don't you think I wish we could go back to yesterday?" she adds as his eyes linger up, his head resting on the tree, "But, we can't. We have to talk about you leaving."

"I'm still standing with my choice," Druig utters out letting go of her hand, his eyes finding hers as she huffs frustratingly before turning away.

"Why won't you just go?" Gabriella states loudly turning to Druig as his eyes close with a short huff of irritation, "it hurts I know, and it will continue to hurt but you staying for me isn't the right choice here?"