Chapter 2: Imminent Threat

23 July, 2012 1440hrs
San Salvacion

"The war seemed to unfold in the blink of an eye. I don't remember exactly when the forces from the west occupied my town; I was too busy scanning the skies day after day, waiting for "Yellow Thirteen" to reappear.

Before I knew it, everything had changed. The language they taught us at school, our friendly local sheriff "disappeared" and was replaced by foreign MPs. In the beginning, some people secretly tuned into broadcasts from North Point on their parabolic antennas. But as time passed, the broadcasts no longer came in; maybe the satellites were destroyed.

All non-military computer networks were shut down. Gasoline was rationed to civilians. Though we lived in the twenty-first century, we were reduced to using crystal radios and horse-drawn carts.

I moved in with my uncle in town who used to be a taxi driver. Out of gasoline and out of work, my uncle did nothing but to drown himself in drink. I earned my keep by playing the harmonica in the town bar, the one thing I was good at. I'd play for sullen occupation soldiers in exchange for their charity in loose change and used the money to support my uncle and myself.

My uncle trash-talked the barkeep who catered to the enemy soldiers, but he never refused the money I brought home. As for myself, I had a crush on the barkeep's only daughter, who was a little older than me.

Another day passed yet still no sign of the fighter plane, Yellow Thirteen, in the skies above our town."

Wow. Never knew he has a crush on barkeep's daughter. However, I skip that part before Gab says something stupid between us. I feel bad for them. After Eruseans invaded his homeland, foods and drinks became rational, not to mention that Usea still struggling from the Ulysses impact few years ago. After Gab read the part of the letter, she frowned ad feel the same as me.

"Who knew war could be this terrible." She mumbles.

"Even if we don't want to, we didn't expect when to happen." I said. "Anyways, time to tell the next tale."

•=•=•=•=•=•

5 October, 2004 1200 hrs
ISAF Aircraft Carrier

It is almost been a month since our last mission. It also gives me time to call my family about my situation here. I knew they were worried about me just as I did to them, especially my sister. I sighed and lay down on the bed, closing my eyes. Taking a nap for a while. It was a peaceful sleep, dreaming on a beautiful beach with my friends, my family, my sister who really cares about me.

"You will soon find out her past, Chris Williams."

I jolted from my sleep, breathing slightly. 'What the hell was that?'

I look at my watch. 40 minutes of sleep? Better than nothing. That voice I heard, was it real? It was probably a dream. Yes it was.

"No it isn't."

I scan around the room immediately. That same voice, a voice of a young girl. Maybe I started hearing voices because of lack of sleep. My thoughts about it had shaken off when a knock of a door was heard outside. The door slightly opens as Alex's head shows off. "Finally you wake up sleeping beauty. We have a briefing, 5 minutes."

"Yeah, yeah, I'll catch up." I waved my hands so he can leave and change to my flight suit. I sent my sister a message knowing I have a mission to take, and she responds immediately to say be careful. I rushed towards the meeting room, where Halo team and Weaver are already there. I apologise before immediately sit beside them. The lights went dim and the commander began the briefing.