Chapter 1: Sitting Duck

Admist the blue skies, a link from the past to future.
The sheltering wings of the protector...

_________________________

19 September, 2004 1345hrs
Newfield Island, North Point

A rang from a phone heard from Chris' pocket. He picks it up and answers the phone call.

"Big Bro!" Gab yelled.

"Ouch." He mumbles while rubbing his ear. "First of all, can you stop shouting at my ear. And second, I'm in the aircraft carrier. What's up?"

"I just miss you." She said with a sad tone. "Its been months since you left... and now I miss you already."

"You know I'll be fine, Gab. Plus its part of our bloodline to dominate the skies, eh?"

"Showoff. It still wonders how James handle your goofy personality."

"Hey, I'm not that kind of person!" He shot back. "Anyways, how's mom and dad?"

"They're alright. Mom keeps praying for your safety, dad said be safe out there before he went to the grocery store."

Chris chuckles. Just then, a pilot came to see him. "Hey Ribbon! Hurry up to the briefing room, boss called us for the meeting."

"Just a few seconds!" Ribbon shouted before returning to the phone call. "Sorry I have to go now, command has called us for the mission today."

"Be careful up there, Big Bro."

"I will. I'll call you when I get back."

"I'm already counting down. Love you."

"Love you, too," He answered, smiling to himself before turning off his phone. He looked at the same pilot who was waiting outside the door, grinning. He knew what it was coming.

"If you thinking Im calling to my girlfriend, you're wrong." Ribbon glares at him. "That is my sister, Alex."

Alex, leader of the Halo Squadron, also Chris' best friend when they both join the ISAF. He's 6'2", a middle age man, taller than him, and has short brown hair, pair of hazel eyes, and well build pilot. Alex chuckles and patted his shoulders. "Yeah I know that cause you are a young adult to date someone. Although I'm still wondering when you get a girlfriend before you die?"

"I don't planning on getting one. I don't want them to feel heartbroken when we have long distance relationship, or I die."

"Wise words coming from a wise man. Now let's go before the command chew our asses."

Ribbon laughs. They made a run towards the briefing room, two other pilots from Halo team have already sitting on the chairs. One of them is Frank, a hot-headed but caring guy aka Halo 2, and Jason, a tough and serious guy as Viper 1.

Jason saw them and scoffed, "Took long enough. You are one minute late."

"Thanks for the statement, Mr. Shades." Alex said the obvious. "Plus, blame Chris for having a voice call with his sister."

"Blame my sister for calling me." Chris shot back, sitting beside Frank. "Alex thought I called my girlfriend with a smug grin on his face."