xxii

You didn't exactly mean to fall asleep, but apparently, you did. You awoke to your ginger-haired mentor gently shaking you.

"Y/n, come on...wake uppp." Rowan cooed, brushing some of your disheveled hair out of your face. You slowly blinked your eyes, struggling to adjust to the bright light above you.

You sat up slowly and rubbed your eyes. "Hnnggg, what time is it?" You looked out the large window and to your surprise, it was still pitch black outside.

"Hmmm, if you really want to know, it is 4:30." Your suddenly energetic eyes sprung wide open.

"4:30? Like AM? Like in the morning?" Rowan nodded. You groaned and almost fell backward.

"We're going to need as much time as possible. Plus, there will be fewer distractions if we start your training early in the morning. Now up and at 'em!" Rowan helped you up and you tired lying stumbled around to wake yourself up. "Go ahead and get ready, your training uniform is in the bathroom. Meet me just outside the inn, and we'll head over to the gym." And with that, she left.

You wandered to the bathroom and winced when the bright light turned on, giving you a headache. You looked around to see nothing but a toilet, counter, sink, and mirror.

"No bath? Not even a shower. That's strange." You hummed and turned your head back to the mirror. On the counter was a spray bottle, brush, curling and straightening iron, and a few hand and face towels. You sighed and wet your disheveled hair before brushing it out. You tied back as much of it as you possibly could and then changed your attention to the uniform. It was a white karate uniform with a white belt. Next to it was a black headband that tied around your head snugly.

The uniform was surprisingly comfortable. You looked in the mirror, flattening out all of the folds and wrinkles before turning off all the lights, locking the door, and meeting Rowan just outside the inn.

"Not many people come here to train, so we'll have it all to ourselves. Today, our focus will be opening your nodes and then figuring out what kind of nen user you are." She babbled on and on as the two of you walked down a worn dirt path. You found yourselves at a rather big building on the shore of a huge lake. You admired the beautiful scenery, from the trees to the occasional critters.

The two of you entered the cabin-looking building. The walls were cream-colored and there were many large shojis along the walls. The floor was a dark wood that creaked with every step. In the middle of the barren room was a short wooden table with a cup placed in the middle. Rowan took off her jacket and set it next to the table.

"Now Y/N, before we can start any training, I have to force open your aura nodes. It will be a heavy burden and very... exhausting for you at first. It will be better if you remove your top." Rowan instructed and pulled her hair into a ponytail. You reluctantly obliged and removed your top, leaving you in your tank top. You faced your back to her and Rowan reached her hand out, just hovering it above your neck. "I will begin." She spoke and suddenly, you felt as if an anvil had just been dropped onto you. You shook and struggled to hold in a scream. Every inch of your body felt like it had been drained of energy.

After a minute, the pain started to ebb away and your heavy breathing began to slowly return to a normal pace. You wiped the sweat on your forehead away with the neck of your tank top. You looked down at your body and a white mist-like substance was seeping from your skin.

"Is this?" You turned your hand over, scanning every inch of your body.

"Yes. That is your aura. You can see it because the micropyles in your eyes have also been opened. Pretty neat, huh?" Rowan smiled and tucked a few loose strands of hair behind her ear. "This is your life source. You mustn't let it just flow about all willy-nilly. If you just let all of your aura flow out of your body, you will most likely pass out. So, listen carefully." She clapped her hands. "I need you to focus all your attention on keeping your aura within your body. Now, close your eyes, and allow your body to take any natural position that will help you focus." She instructed in a stern voice, one you didn't hear very often. "Imagine, your aura is like your blood, flowing from the very top of your scalp to the tips of your toes. Now... visualize that flow beginning to lessen, and hovering around your body."