Part 49

When I wake up - it's daytime.

I slept for almost twenty-four hours straight! I feel like a new person.

I glance over at the clock - it's 9:00. I have time to get a quick workout in before needing to go meet Xeno and Moxie.

For a moment, I lie in bed and let the reality of the past two days sink in. Sometimes, I still have these moments where it's hard to believe that I'm not on Dard anymore. That I actually made it onto the Squad. That I deserve to be exactly where I'm at.

I take a deep breath - in and out.

I wish my mom were here to see all of this. She'd be so proud of both Iggy and me. I just know it.

Then, my mind wanders to Kromo. What happened to make him turn so evil? And what did he mean when he said, right before he died, that it's impossible to ever really get rid of him? I saw him die with my own two eyes. I was responsible for it.

I get the chills.

One event really can change the entire course of a person's life. What would have happened if my mom hadn't replaced Kromo's genes with Rishi's? Or if Xeno hadn't confessed his love for her? Or if Iggy hadn't run away to the orphanage? Or if Niko hadn't decided to trust Xeno for Recruitment Day?

I roll out of bed and slip into my jumpsuit. I stick the earpiece in - I feel like saying hi to Anika this morning.

"Hi, Anika!" I say.

"Well, good mornin', dear," she says. "You seem very well-rested."

"Yeah," I say. "I feel like it."

"That's great," she says.

"Anika," I say. "I just wanted to thank you for everything."

"Oh dear, stop," she responds. "It's my pleasure."

I smile and then take the earpiece out and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

When I get to the lobby, Eva and a small gaggle of girls are there, waiting.

"Hey Eva," I say. "What's going on?"

"We're waiting for you," she says, smiling. "Will you lead us in one of your workouts today? We all want to get strong, like you."

For a moment, I can't believe what I'm seeing and hearing. The same gaggle of girls who haven't let me have a moment of peace pretty much since I arrived on Shinar are now asking me to lead them?

Just when you think things can't get any weirder...

"Sure," I say. "Follow me."

I start jogging out of the building, and the group of girls, including Eva, follow behind.

On the way to the park, Zayn spots us and starts jogging alongside me.

"Oh, you think you can handle one of my workouts?" I tease.

"Bring it on, K-NIGMA," he mocks.

We both run as fast as we can, racing each other to the park. I beat Zayn by a hair. We both fall flat on our backs, panting, waiting for the others to arrive and start the real routine.

Zayn leans over and gives me a pop kiss.

I smile, thinking that sometimes, we do get what we want, even if it doesn't look or feel exactly like how we first imagined it would be.

That's life. And that's why it's so important to not get attached to anything. Everything is always changing. And that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

The other girls arrive, ready for me to lead them. I take a deep breath - in and out.