Part 3

I stand in line, shaking from the nerves. I feel like I'm going to explode from the pressure of it all.

I've been waiting for this moment my whole life. Will I be on the list of fifteen-year-olds who gets to participate in Recruitment Day? And if I am, will I make it onto the Galactic Squad?

My palms drip with sweat, and the closer I get to the List of Recruits, the more I feel like I can't breathe. I wish Niko were here.

This is literally my only chance to leave Dard and find my family.

Because getting into the Galactic Squad is the only way a slave like me can be freed.

It's the law in the Galaxy of Seratona: each year, the name of every fifteen year old - no matter how rich or poor - gets placed in the lottery for Recruitment Day. If your name is chosen, you get to try-out for the Galactic Squad.

Galactic Fighters are trained in warfare, and they travel around the galaxy to keep it safe from space invaders and terrorists.

(Too bad they can't save all of us here on Planet Dard. I guess illegal slavery just isn't high enough on the list. Sometimes I cringe at how effed up everything is.)

Anyway - getting into the Galactic Squad basically makes you like a god in the Galaxy. It's like being part of an elite club that actually does good in the world.

Everyone worships Galactic Fighters.

Before I became a slave on Dard, I used to read comic books about the Galactic Fighters and their adventures. I still have one of those old comic books, and I've read it like a thousand times.

It stars my favorite Fighter, Moxi Perez, who is a total badass. She wears this gold jumpsuit (which all the Cadets have to wear) and the most perfect shade of red lipstick. She's so gorgeous; I can see why the entire Galaxy worships her. Her hair is dark and matches her piercing dark eyes. It would be a dream to meet her. To be her.

And this is my chance.

If I don't make it in this year, I will be doomed to stay on Dard, as Sargon's slave, for the rest of my life.

"Kishmish!" Niko shouts.

I jump, startled, and swerve around, hoping my mind isn't playing tricks on me.

I'm relieved to see Niko jogging toward me. He's panting a bit and drenched in sweat, but smiling. Always smiling.

"Niko!" I yell, throwing my arms around him. "I was so worried. Are you okay?"

He hesitates for a split second and then answers me.

"Everything is cool," he replies. "It was just a pack of, uh, really large squirrels."

For a moment I get the feeling he's hiding something, but then I remember who I'm talking to. Niko would never lie to me.

"Well, I'm just glad you're okay," I say. "Thanks again for the magnificent feast. It was perfect."

He smiles and reaches for my hand. I place mine in his, and we give each other a light squeeze and then let go.

And then before we know it, there we are - Niko and I - staring up at the List. The List that will determine the fate of the rest of our lives.

I scan it frantically. Up and down, side-to-side. Waiting, hoping, dying to see the letters that spell my name.

But with each passing moment, a horrid feeling grows in the pit of my stomach, as the truth slowly dawns me. My name isn't there.

My breathing grows strained, and I feel faint. The world spins, and I think I'm going to suffocate, when all of a sudden, a familiar voice rings in my ears -

"I got in!" Niko yells. "I got in! I got in!!"

I see him jumping up and down in front of me, his face alight with joy, and in that moment, something inside me snaps.

I am surprised at the quickness and severity of my jealousy.

I can't believe it. Niko got it and I didn't. He doesn't even have any family left. He doesn't deserve this over me!

I fight back tears and muster up the courage to tell Niko congrats.

"I really am so excited for you, Niko," I lie.

He can obviously see the look of utter defeat on my face. He becomes very serious.

"Kishmish, I will give you my ticket. I know how much you want this."

I can't believe he just offered to give me his ticket. This is exactly why I both love and despise him. He is too kind, too weak. But then, he loves me so much.

"Niko, that is absurd," I retort. "You know Sargon would kill both of us if we changed-up the lottery like that. It's against the rules. You should just go. At least one of us got it."

"I promise I will find your parents and Pikar and we will come back and save you. I promise," he assures me.

I feel the tears welling up inside of me, about to burst out from my eyes. I need to leave - now.

I give Niko a quick hug. "Congrats again, Niko - I have to go."

"But, Kishmish-"

I dash out before I can hear what Niko says to me. The tears explode out of me like water balloons bursting at the touch of a needle. I run as fast as I can. I don't even know where I'm going. I can't breathe. I cannot believe I am stuck on Dard for the rest of my life.

I arrive at the very edge of the slaves' quarters, breathless and exhausted. I can hear the buzzing of the electric fence. I can almost see the tiny sparks jumping off the tops of the spikes - the fence is on. I wipe my face and stretch out my hand. I touch the top of the metal bars with my finger, and a slight jolt surges through my body. It calms me.

I do it again, and my brain numbs a bit.

This time, I wrap my whole right hand around the bar and a jolt of lightning shoots through my entire body.

Everything goes black.

I'm barely conscious when, a few hours later, Niko scoops me up and sneaks me back into my sleeping quarters.

He kisses my forehead and tucks me safely into bed.