Part 16

After taking a long, hot shower and changing into comfortable clothes, I head to the kitchen to eat dinner. I am ravenous.

When I enter the kitchen, everyone is already seated at the table. It's sort of quiet. No one has started eating yet. I wonder if they're waiting on me?

"Karina, you're late," Xeno says sternly. "Take a seat."

My heart sinks into my stomach. Why is Xeno being so cold toward me? He can't possibly be mad at me. I saved Zayn's life!

I grab the empty seat next to Zayn and across from Eva and Max. Zayn squeezes my arm lightly. And Eva and Max each give me a slight nod, yet they don't exactly smile.

Xeno seems angry. He clears his throat. I can feel beads of sweat forming under my arms and on my forehead.

"First of all," he begins. "I'd like to congratulate Zayn and Karina for successfully completing their respective goals on Mimba."

Everyone raises their glass to mimic Xeno and then we all take a drink.

"Second," Xeno continues. "I'd like to make it very clear that when I give strict orders," he says as he looks directly at me, "I do not expect to be disobeyed."

It becomes very quiet. I can't breathe.

I open my mouth to speak but Xeno continues, "That said, I am grateful to have Zayn with us here tonight, and there is only one person to thank for his presence - Karina."

He raises his glass, without looking at me, and proposes a toast.

"To Karina," he says, while raising his glass.

"To Karina," the table echoes, while raising their glasses.

Everyone bursts into applause.

"Let's celebrate our success on Mimba by feasting on this food!" Xeno announces.

I am relieved but still slightly unsettled. Is Xeno scolding or congratulating me? I can't tell.

Xeno stands behind me and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Karina, I must repeat that though I will never condone you not listening to my strict orders, I have to commend you on your decision to retrieve Zayn. I am very glad that you both are here," Xeno states, placing his other hand on Zayn's shoulder.

"I'm sorry for disobeying you, Xeno," I respond. "It was not out of disrespect. I just...I couldn't leave Zayn."

"I know, Karina," Xeno answers. "Now, eat."

He walks back to his seat at the head of the table and begins his meal in silence.

I look at Eva and Max and they raise their glasses to me and smile. I raise mine and smile back. Does this mean that they finally accept me?

I contemplate the fact that Eva and Max might now be my friends, when Zayn passes me a plate of food. Suddenly, I remember how incredibly hungry I am, and I am only able to focus on the feast in front of me.

Zayn just handed me a plate of an amazing herbed bread that is stuffed with a creamy, soft cheese and rhubarb jam.

There are platefuls of fresh fruits of all kinds: juicy, pink raspberries, neon-yellow star fruits, fiery-red mangoes and my absolute favorite - lychees!

Bowls of black and red sticky rice, pots of creamed yellow, green and brown lentils, and tubs of hearty, mixed vegetable casserole line the center of the table.

There are green, maroon and white sauces made with cilantro, tamarind and coconut. Little bowls of fresh herbs, spices and sea salts are scattered everywhere.

Mounds of dark chocolate sit at every corner.

Jugs of brown bubbly beer are everywhere, as well as those dates stuffed with goat cheese and mint and that deliciously nutty sauce that I love so much.

In a word, I am in heaven.

"Slow down there, cowgirl," Zayn says as he winks at me.

"Oh shove it," I respond, as I continue to gorge.

For the most part, I silently stuff my face and hear others chat. I notice Eva trying to engage Zayn in small talk, which sort of irks me, but I'm too hungry to care right now. All I can focus on in this moment is eating this incredible food in front of me.

After everyone is done, Xeno clears his throat and makes another announcement.

"We are now headed toward Planet Shinar," he begins. "It's time for you newbies to begin your real training."

I wonder what he means by this.

"And since I'm still alive and all," Zayn says, jokingly, "it's time for me to officially become a Captain, right?"

I detect a slight undertone of bitterness in his voice.

"Zayn," Xeno responds. "Though I cannot say this officially, you will very likely be named Captain of Cohort 53."

Zayn's face lights up a bit. Everyone raises their glasses to him and takes a drink.

"We must also appoint Cohort 53 with its official Mentor," continues Xeno. "And, we have to get you all your fifth Cadet-mate, which will be confirmed once we land on Shinar."

Everyone nods in consent and there is a bit of a lull in the conversation. The food coma portion of the evening has begun.

"After you've had enough to eat and drink," concludes Xeno, "Clean-up and get some rest. There is a lot to do once we land on Shinar."

And with that, Xeno stands up and exits the kitchen. Though, I swear I see him eyeing the gold ring on my finger before he walks out. It's lined with small, black diamonds. I wonder if he thinks I stole it or something.

The rest of us linger for a while and then cleanup. I start to get very, very sleepy. I head to the bathroom to get ready for bed.

When I leave the bathroom, the lights of the ship are mostly off. Everyone is sleeping, except Xeno, who is sitting at the control center. He has a huge pair of headphones and a large, visual headset strapped onto his head.

The ship is on autopilot at this stage, but I suppose he technically has to sit at the control center, just in case.

He must be having one of those immersive virtual reality experiences that the comics mention from time-to-time. That headset looks even bigger in real life than it does when depicted in the comics. I wonder what he's experiencing at this very moment.

Where's Zayn? He's usually sitting at the control center with Xeno as well. Maybe now that he's unofficially Captain of Cohort 53, he decided to take a bit of a break to celebrate.

I head over to my sleeping pod, excited by the prospect of a long, good night's rest. As I near it, though, I see that it's slightly open, and an arm is dangling off the edge. Zayn.

I look inside the pod, and he's lying there, his injured arm - the one furthest from me - wrapped up in a cast.

"Zayn, what are you doing here?!" I ask.

"Shhhhh," he responds. "We don't want to wake anyone up or get Xeno's attention."

He looks over my shoulder at Xeno, to make sure he didn't hear us or see anything.

My heart is beating out of control.

"Zayn, we should really be getting to bed. You heard what Xeno said," I say, trying to play it cool and be as calm as possible.

"I just want to chat for a bit," responds Zayn.

Ugh he is so cute.

"Okay, just for a bit," I answer.