Part 47

Though we're all a little dirty and a little rough around the edges from our mission, the five of us decide to head to Ro's party and live it up.

When we arrive, the butler eyes us up-and-down but eventually lets us in.

Everyone has had so many glasses of champagne by the time we arrive, that they don't really notice that we're all in our Squad suits and that we all sort of look like vagrants.

The five of us each grab a glass of champagne and toast to one another and take a drink. We dance and drink and drink and dance, late into the night.

At one point, I see Moxie and Xeno, and I pull them aside, a bit tipsy and tell them everything that just happened.

"And here's the chip," I announce. "With the formula for Element X."

At first, they think I've just had too much champagne, and they don't believe me. But then, Eva, Max, Zayn and Niko all huddle around and confirm my story, and they look at us all, shocked.

"You five did all of this?" asks Moxie.

"Yup, yup," chimes Eva.

"You could get kicked-out of the Squad for how many rules you disobeyed," says Xeno.

"Oh Xeno," says Moxie. "For once, just stop."

We all freeze, unsure of how Xeno will react. But then, he cracks a smile and we all laugh.

"Obviously, we both need to meet with you and hear about all of this in much more detail," says Xeno. "Day after tomorrow, okay?"

We all nod in unison.

I bump into Rex and ask how Pia's doing.

"I think she'll end up being fine," says Rex. "Thanks for telling me."

"As much as I really don't understand why Ro loves her," she adds. "He does. And it's about time I start respecting that."

"Glad she's gonna be ok," I say, giving her a hug.

"I have lots and lots to catch you up on!" I add. "But tomorrow. For now, let's break-it-DOWN!"

We all continue to celebrate until it starts to get light outside, and then someone yells that we should all go to the beach to watch the sunrise, so we do just that.

When we arrive to the beach, the ocean is completely calm - there are no waves at all.

A few people have collected enough firewood to start a bonfire.

I plop down next to the fire, and absorb its heat.

Some of the guys dare each other to jump into the freezing cold ocean, and they all take their shirts and shorts off, standing only in their boxers.

Niko's body looks so real. It's incredible. If I didn't know he was a droid, I would never be able to tell. But it's really Zayn who I swoon at the sight of. He's just so, hot. And, I don't know what it is, but I just feel something every time I'm near him.

But, I'm embarrassed to ask him about what I did earlier inside the KORP building. I was so forward...and now I feel sort of foolish about how I acted.

They all run toward the ocean, but Max chickens out. Niko and Zayn both jump in and start screaming. They run back out.

"Ice cold!" yells Zayn, laughing. "Waaah-hooo!"

Now, they head back to the bonfire to grab towels and warm-up. Eva and Rex are sitting next to me.

"That was a terrible idea," Zayn says, beaming. "Hey Karina?"

"Yeah?" I respond.

"Can we take a quick stroll?" he asks.

"Yeah, of course," I say, glancing at Eva, who smiles at me and gives me a little thumbs-up. I finally have her blessing. At least for now.

Zayn and I walk along the beach in silence for a while, and then, he pipes up.

"Kish," he starts. "Why'd you take some of my memories from the archives?"

I freeze.

"How'd you know about that?" I ask, my cheeks burning.

"Anytime you download another person's memories from the archives," explains Zayn. "It alerts that person, so that people are careful about whose data they choose to access."

"I had no idea," I admit. "I was just curious about you, I guess."

Zayn cracks a small smile. The first rays of the sun are beginning to rise. It's as if the atmosphere is opening its eyes.

Zayn and I both sit down.

"What's that locket?" he asks, pointing to the necklace that Pikar gifted to me. That night that I first met her seems like so long ago now.

"Oh, it's just something that my sister gave to me," I say, unclasping it and holding it in my hands. I open it and stare at the picture of my mom and Kromo.

"Is that your mom?" he asks, leaning over my shoulder.

"Yup," I respond.

"She's beautiful," he says. "You look just like her."

I smile, "Thanks, Z."

There's a moment of silence.

"But, I don't think I need this anymore," I add, standing up and walking toward the water.

Once my toes hit the edge of the ocean, I close my eyes and take a deep breath - in and out.

I imagine breathing in the power of the sun and the sea and exhaling out all of my fears and anxieties.

The ocean begins to rustle, quietly, as a light breeze picks up. Everything is waking up. The atmosphere is starting to breathe.

Clasping the locket tightly in my hand, I lift up my arm, wind it back and fling the necklace as far as I can out into the endless depths of the ocean.

I turn around and run back up toward Zayn. He wraps me in his arms and kisses me. Together, we stare at the sunrise, and with each new ray, I feel a new sense of hope and power build within me.

Nothing really lasts, in the end, I think to myself. All things go.

My cell dings. It's a message from Pikar

"You awake?" it says.

"Yeah," I write. "What's up?"

"Did you hear about KORP?" she writes.

"I did..." I say. "Can I come over for breakfast?"

"Yeah," she says. "See you in an hour?"

"Yes," I write. "See you soon."

I give Zayn one more kiss and we cuddle for a little bit longer, then I grab a cab and head to Pikar's place.