Chapter 26- Let's Make it 158

Adriana P.O.V.

There was a slightly awkward silence as me and Zero slurped our milkshakes. We were at a local little restaurant that hands down had the best milkshakes I had ever had. Their Nutella peanut-butter milkshake? Not even Orlando Bloom in a sexy pirate outfit came close. Even though it came pretty damn close.

"So why did you move here?"

Zero paused in drinking his milkshake and looked at me.

"I'm looking for someone."

"Who?"

Zero sighed and pushed his tall glass away from him. Not looking at me, he asked sheepishly,

"Can you keep a secret?"

I rolled my eyes and placed a hand on his shoulder,

"Of course I can. I kept the fact you stole that extra cookie from Mr. Martin's lunchbox after all."

Zero grinned loftily at me,

"Well you're my partner in crime. I know you took that napkin in there that had a note from his mom on it. You are so cruel, to take a man's mommy note."

"What can I say, I'm kind of an evil conniving bitch."

"John 3:16, 'For God so loved the world...'"

Zero startled rambling Bible verses and I frowned at him,

"What are you doing?"

Zero blinked innocently at me,

"Oh sorry I heard that Bible verses make demons go away."

Then he frowned,

"How are you still here?"

I laughed and punched his shoulder,

"Oh shut up you ass. Now, who is it you are looking for?"

"Well, here is the whole dealio. I moved here with my mum. I have never met my dad. My dad is a horrible bastard that cheated on his wife with my mum. Of course, my mum had no idea till she found out she was pregnant with me. When he heard, he took off faster than Roadrunner from Loony Tunes. Unable to handle it, my mum moved to Atlanta, Georgia to raise me. Recently, however, she told me about my dad. She said he lived in San Diego and now had a daughter with his wife."

Zero broke off, looking sad. After a brief pause, he continued,

"I felt so bad, knowing I had a half-sister I had never met. So I thought, 'Hey better late than never'. I moved out here to find her. I have no interest in finding my useless bastard dad, I just want to find my sister."

That sounded rough, poor Zero. At least I had a dad, even if he was a shitty dad and he abandoned me, I still had one.

I stirred my straw around the rim of my glass, something I unconsciously did when I was nervous.

"Do you know what she looks like?"

Zero sighed and hung his head,

"No. I only know what my dad looks like. I have a picture."

I smiled. Maybe I knew him. Maybe I could help.

"Can I see? Maybe I know him."

Zero plunged his hand into his pocket but came up empty with a frown.

"Dammit. Sorry, I guess it is at my house."

Then he brightened up. He grabbed my hand excitedly,

"Hey maybe you can come to my house and meet my mum! She loves guests so much it would make her so happy!"

Seeing the enthusiastic sparkle in his wide green eyes I could hardly find it in myself to douse his hope and say no, not when he had been so depressed a few seconds ago.