Brothers (In Law)

"Let me get this straight. You punched Andrew, THE ANDREW, in the face to save little you?" Alistor huffed. 

   Jessie shrugged. "I mean... Yeah?"

   Alistor sighed deeply. "Good job???"

   "What's that supposed to mean?"

   "Exactly what I said! I'm just processing it." Alistor huffed crossing his arms. "So that's everything you know..?" His tone went quieter. 

   "...Yeah. I don't have anything else. Usually there's a time limit to these things but... We're still here," Jessie sighed. 

   "I can't believe Matthew hasn't done anything yet..." Alistor sighed quietly. "Jessie... Okay thats weird. Can I just call you Star?"

   Star blinked. "Yeah that makes a lot more sense."

   "K cool. So what if... Matthew can't do anything right now..? That's why we're still here? Maybe theres something going on and its just a matter of time?" 

   Star looked down at his hands. "Stars I hope so..."

   There was a moment before a small giggle sounded. 

   Both men turned toward the laugh. 

   Reaper slapped his hand over his mouth. "I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to listen... I had a bad dream and-"

   Alistor spoke first. "Hey kiddo it's alright. C'mere."

   Star gave a worried look at the little boy. He was supposed to be eleven almost twelve. He looked so tiny.

   Alistor pulled the boy into his lap and placed a hand over his forehead. he amde a small face. "You've got a fever."

   Little Reaper went still. "I'm not sick."

   "Yes you are." 

   "I'm not! I promise I'm not! I'm strong and-"

   "Kiddo. It's okay to be sick. I just want you to be okay Reaper." Alistor gave a sad smile. "I promise I won't leave you alone again."

   Little Reaper's mouth trembled before he nodded and nuzzled close to Alistor. 

   Alistor held the boy close and locked eyes with Star. He looked away quickly knowing that he was probably going to get a talking to later...

   After a moment the boys breathing evened out signaling he was asleep. 

   "Were you-" Star paused. "Has he... Always been this bad..?"

   Alistor sighed. "Yeah. He grew up undernourished so he was unhealthy. He got sick a lot. When he was left alone it didn't get any better for a few years."

   Star stood up. "I'll grab some medicine and make soup. You should get him to bed, yeah?"

   Alistor blinked but nodded. "Thanks Fresh..."

   "No problem. Alistor." Star laughed quietly. "You never told me how you got that name."

   Alistor laugehd quietly and stood careful not to wake Reaper. "I'll tell you later."