Chapter 2

3000 Years Later in Cairo, Egypt.

Cairo was a strange, mysterious, lively, and wonderful city. It is also the birthplace of Akila Lily Carnahan. She is the youngest of her half-siblings, who are Evelyn and Jonathan Carnahan, and unlike her brother and sister, she was fully Egyptian. Akila was a sweet, caring, selfless, adventurous, and soft-spoken young woman. She tried to get in a relationship with other men, but it never worked out. A few minutes ago she was told by her newest boyfriend that they were breaking up causing her to hide all her emotion as she went to her work but also her sanctuary. She soon reached Cairo's Museum of Antiquities, she heard crashing and froze as she walked in to hear the Curator yelling at who she guessed was Evelyn. As she walked in more her suspicion was correct and the Curator went to Akila, "Thank Allah, Akila your finally back! Please help your sister with this." Akila softly nodded and went to Evelyn and began to help her clean up before they both heard something in the backroom causing them to look at each other. They slowly went to the back room they were on edge, "Hello? Abdul? Mohammad? Bob?" Evelyn called out. They walked towards a sarcophagus and then they saw a mummy burst up making them both scream before hearing their brother laugh. "Have you no respect for the dead?" Akila said annoyed at her brother. "Of course I do, but sometimes I'd rather like to join them." He replied with a drunken smirk. "Well, I wish you would it sooner rather than later before you ruin my career the way you ruined yours," Evelyn told him as she fixed the mummy back. Jonathan got out of the sarcophagus replying, "My dear, sweet, baby sisters. I'll have you know that at this precise moment my career is on a high note." Evelyn rolled her eyes at that comment before Akila scoffed," High note, Ha!" Jonathan then started to rummage through his coat as if looking for something before pulling out a strange ancient box which was actually a key. "Oh no, Jonathan not another worthless trinket. If I bring one more piece of junk to the Curator to try and sell for you." Evelyn then said before her scolding softened to interest in the item. Akila looked at it as well before they both looked at Jonathan asking," Where did you get this?" Their brother then gave them a mischievous smile before answering," On a dig, down in Thebes. My whole life, I've never found anything. Please tell me I've found something." Akila's fingers messed with the little slates on the box shifting them before it suddenly unlocked itself turning into a key. Sitting inside the open key was a folded piece of papyrus which Evelyn grabbed and looked at it. It was a map, Akila curiously observed the map in her sister's hands. "Jonathan, I think you found something," Evelyn said.

They took the map to the Curator's office. The curator sits at his desk staring through a magnifying glass at the map as Evelyn hovered beside him, excited at the discovery. "See that cartouche there, it's the official royal seal of Seti the First. I'm sure of it!" Evelyn said. Akila on the other hand, held onto the key curiously reading the hieroglyphics on it. "Two questions. Who the hell is Seti the first? And was he rich?" Jonathan then asked looking at Evelyn. Akila looked at Jonathan before answering his question," He was the second Pharaoh of the 19th dynasty, and said to be the wealthiest pharaoh of them all." It was obvious that Jonathan was now thinking of all the treasures of the pharaoh as he said," Good, very good. I like this fellow, I like him very much!" Evelyn ignored his comment and continued to talk to the Curator about the map, " I've already dated the map, It's almost 3000 years old. And the hieratics over here..... it's Hamunaptra." The Curator then froze, Akila could tell he was nervous before he sighed," Dear God, don't be ridiculous. We are scholars, not treasure hunters. Hamunaptra is a myth told by Ancient Arab storytellers to amuse Greek and Roman tourists." Jonathan then interrupted," Are we talking about THE Hamunaptra?" Akila went to them saying," Yes. The City of the Dead. Where the early pharaohs were said to have hidden the wealth of Egypt." "Right, Right. In a big underground treasure chamber." Jonathan started before the Curator scoffed at them before he continued," Everybody knows the story. The entire necropolis was rigged to sink into the sand. And the whole place could disappear beneath the dunes." The Curator began to put the map a little closer to the candle-lamp saying," As the American's would say it's all fairytales and hokum." The map then caught ablaze as he dropped it. Evelyn and Jonathan quickly put the fire out before Jonathan said, "You burnt it! You burnt off the part with the lost city!" "It's for the best, I'm sure. Many men have wasted their lives in the foolish pursuit of Hamunaptra, no one has ever found it, most have never returned." The Curator told them all. Jonathan kept the map as they left to where Jonathan "found it".