Chapter 20: Getaway

Chapter 20: Getaway

Holly

I step out of the shower feeling better and more human than I have all day. It's just after five and River is busy packing for our weekend getaway.

He's refused to tell me where we're going or what we'll do, but he's had this silly little smirk on his face ever since coming to see me earlier at the pre-school. It's so adorable and I don't want to spoil his fun in keeping this secret from me, so I'm playing along.

He told me to dress warm and to have a little something to eat before we go, since our actual dinner will be happening later, once we have arrived at the mysterious location.

The whole thing is very sweet, of course, but I feel a little like River is going out of his way when he doesn't need to. I know he really appreciates what I've been doing at the pre-school in order to give the Peterson's a chance to catch their breath. I want to let him repay me, even if I don't feel it's necessary.

I finish getting changed, clad in thick black jeans, a long sleeve grey cable-knit sweater, and black puffy vest. I pull on my boots near the front door, seeing bags stacked up just outside as well as a large cooler.

I step outside, bending down to pick up the bags and sling them over my shoulders. When I turn around River is standing right in front of me, looking energized and a little out of breath.

"You don't need to get those, I got them." He says, looking to the bags.

"Have you been running to the car?" I ask, noting his slightly laboured breathing and finding it all the more hilarious how excited he obviously is.

"Maybe," he says, instead picking up the cooler. "Just trying to beat sunset, I'd rather not have to haul this stuff around in the dark." He says as we begin walking down the path from the house to the parking lot. It's not far, but far enough to be a little annoying when loading cargo such as this.

"You've got my interest, Mr. Matthews." I say. "I just hope you're not going through too much trouble is all." I say as we near the Hummer which currently has the trunk wide open with another cooler inside it as well as blankets I recognize from the linen closet.

"No trouble," he says with a shake of his head. "Really." He places the cooler inside, stacking it atop the other one before turning to me.

I pass him the two duffel bags of our clothes, realizing he actually packed for me. I smile and shake my head at his enthusiasm.

"Is that the last of it?" I ask him and he nods while shutting the trunk hard.

"I'm going to go lock up the house, then we're all good." He says, stopping short to scan me up and down. "Mm, you look nice baby." He smirks and pulls me in for a kiss.

I smile at his antics, feeling slightly flushed as his lips possessively work against my own in the sweetest way. I stand up on my tiptoes and wrap my arms around his neck, trying to get more from him. I feel him bite down gently on my lip, the sensation making my knees feel weak and my insides clench up in pleasure. I moan against his mouth, feeling him back me up against the SUV. He groans and pulls away reluctantly.

"You are such a distraction, and we are on a schedule here," River shakes his head, a smirk pulling at his lips and his eyes appearing darker than before.

"Well, it's a good thing I'm so cute then." I bat my eyes innocently, going for comic effect, and I see a grin cross his face.

"You're damn right." He replies before pecking my lips again. "I'm really looking forward to this." River says this with an almost careful kind of excitement to his voice, like he doesn't want to scare me off with how much he wants this.