Chapter 8: Going Through the Motions

Holly

            My eyes blink open slowly, adjusting to my dark surroundings. I'm warm and still sleepy feeling despite having slept so well—at least when River came, that is.

            I can't believe that really happened...He came running to me. That nightmare was worse than the reality had been, because I knew that it was once all real and how it was going to end. I was witnessing the attack over and over, on some never ending torture-loop, finding Garret and Carmen dead over and over.

            I register the sound of the shower running, and at the same moment realize River must be up already. I look from the bathroom door to the empty bed next to me. It's all wrinkled and creased from him laying next to me. I already miss the feel of his chest against my cheek.

            I begin let myself drift off a bit, comfortably imagining he's still with me in bed. But then the sudden stop of the shower interrupts the lullaby it created for me, and my eyes open slowly.

            My vision is fuzzy and there's sleep in my eyes as I watch River come out of the bathroom. He's got nothing but a towel around his waist and there's steam rolling off of his body.

            Without glancing my way, he goes to the closet and I can hear him sliding hangers looking for clothes. I can smell his cologne or shampoo...I smile as my wolf hums in appreciation.

            He smells so good.

            My eyes open a bit more at the sound of his feet padding back into the room, and I look up to see him pulling a forest green shirt over his head, concealing his toned mid-section much to my disappointment.

            Then he's walking towards me, and I see his eyes fixed on my curled-up position. He bends down next to the bed, and his clean, enticing River-smell wafts around me.

            "Hey," he whispers, his voice as smooth as honey. I look him over once more. He's completely dressed for the day, yet it's so early the sun hasn't even made an appearance yet.

            "Hi." I reply, in a much less attractive way, my throat dry and constricted.

            "Go back to sleep; it's early." He says to me, his fingers trailing up my arm and giving me delightful shivers.

            "Where are you going?" I ignore his suggestion and he rolls his eyes.

            "Just have to do some boring pack stuff...Nothing big." He says easily, and I search his face for any sign of dishonesty.

          I don't want to be kept in the dark if it's got something to do with the pack. If I'm going to be the Luna here, I should start knowing how we operate. 

            "When will you be back?" I ask, feeling his thumb rubbing my shoulder softly. I close my eyes momentarily at his touch; the rhythmic sweeping motion is so small yet entirely entrancing.

            "Unfortunately I'm booked for most of today...An Alpha's job is never finished." He says with a light chuckle, and I sigh in disappointment. "But I'll be back for dinner." He says quickly, picking up on my tone. "But go back to sleep Holly." His voice is delectable and convincing, the edge of command in it making my heart flutter. I almost want to... but I'd rather stay up with him for whoever many minutes we might have left before he has to go.

            I take his hand from my shoulder and slip my fingers through his. "I don't want to." I say, sounding much like a child.

            River looks to me and shakes his head. He uses his free hand to pull the blankets up and over my face.