Door 1 - Chapter 13 - Leaving This Behind

With Bob having returned home and reunited with his family, Harris felt the weight of responsibility lift off himself considerably. The next plan on his agenda was a personal one -- fixing his position at the office. Unfortunately, things weren't so simple just yet.

"Mr. Porter won't be coming to the office anymore," announced Mr. Littman, "On account of his health, we wish him a speedy recovery. Until then, I'll be looking for a replacement."

Harris could tell from the disdainful expression on Bob's face that he wasn't happy with the announcement.

"I don't get that man. Porter recommended me personally for the job but he's still looking for a replacement."

As it turned out, the firm had invested heavily in a new product. However, Porter had surmised the inadequacy of the investment financially and there was a big chance any failure could spell the firm's downfall. Porter had divulged this information to Bob who had been working hard to figure out a solution.

"I'm offering my help, he'll feel a whole lot better if he took it," Bob sighed. "So that I have somewhere to be useful." He added under his breath.

"What do you mean?" Harris asked, "Is it Leonard?"

"No, not Lenny, the boy's turned over a new leaf actually. It's Sheila. She's still finding it difficult to forgive me."

"But the kids are back, what's the matter then?"

"She wants all of us together," said Bob, before Harris could ask him to elaborate further, Mr. Littman came storming by.

"What are you two hanging by here for? Get to work, and I mean what you're paid for. Nothing more," he said angrily, Bob muttered irritably under his breath, the insinuation clearly understood.

Harris's mind wandered over to Mrs. Cratchit's dilemma although he did his best not to get sidetracked. By the end of the day, Bob was nowhere to be seen. Harris surmised that he must have gone home. Personally, he had no inclination to return home himself and was upon taking a walk.

The beach was full of people relaxing. He spotted Danny and Jennifer and felt like popping over to say hello but was blocked in his path by a volleyball that whizzed past his eyes. It was the group of people he had played with before, who enthusiastically greeted him. After catching up with the lot, he was handed another voucher for dinner at the ritzy restaurant. Harris turned to make his way toward the couple. But they had left by this point.

Later that night back home, his phone rang. He picked up to hear Leonard's voice at the other end of the line.

"Mr. Harris, you must be tired of helping us out by now but I wanted to ask. Mom and Dad, they're back together but they're still not. You get what I mean? I think they've forgotten how they were before." Leonard explained. "So I was hoping you had some suggestion to maybe fix things between them."

"I don't know what I could do," said Harris truthfully, "It's their business, why don't you tell me what the problem is."

"Mom's just being extremely formal with him. Something's still on her mind."

"Give it time and they'll be okay."

"But is there anything you can think of that could help speed things up?"

"Well, I..." Harris noticed the dinner voucher sticking out of his pocket. "I might have a clue, actually."

"A date night?" Bob asked unsurely, "Son, couples our age don't do those kinds of things."