Chapter Fifty-Eight : In Between Goodbyes

I had just returned home from meeting Jazz, all her tight hugs had creased my t-shirt and her tears left stains on my shoulders. For a brief second, I contemplated changing it before leaving for the airport, but those creases and tear-stains were the last vestiges of our friendship here like the aftertaste of a scrumptious dinner. Her melodrama had ousted my own stream of emotions so by the time I returned home and looked at my parents for final goodbyes, tears were stinging my eyes.

"Even she's leaving us now, what will I do alone here?" my mother muttered under her breath as she stuffed last-minute snacks in my bags. She was fuming and her beloved chaklis and chips broke under her assault, still, she didn't care. Somehow, my father had convinced her to let me go and it took days of washing utensils and clothes with nothing but tears for her to surrender.

"Aai. . . I'll be back in the next holidays we get," I said and her mournful eyes struck me like a thunderbolt. Those eyes were red-rimmed over which her dishevelled hair hung loose and grey. This summer had added decades to her age, making her frail and old. Yet her eyes were fierce, the eyes of a mother who lost her children to adulthood.

"You better come. And how have you kept your clothes in this manner? How will you manage to live alone if you can't do even this? You will never learn just like your father. Now I have to---"

"Aai, I don't have time," I intervened, quickly grabbing the bag from her that she was about to empty to refold the clothes.

"Yes, we need to go," my father said from behind me, picking up all four bags despite my protests. He waddled towards the elevator like a penguin, his body swaying with the bags that seemed to carry him and not the other way around. My mother and I both sighed, exchanging a weary glance.

"Call me when you reach the airport," she said when my father finished loading the bags in the elevator, wiping her glistening face with the hem of her cotton green saree. Her light green blouse had darkened from sweat after preparing food and whatnot since five in the morning. Over ninety per cent of my packing was done by her and she made sure to include everything, from itching creams to sweaters. At her distraught sight, my tears hardened into a lump and lodged itself in my throat, preventing me from uttering a single word. I'll miss you. Love you, aai, I wanted to say. But never in our lives, we ever said love you to each other.

I could only nod and take one last glimpse of that familiar face still sweating profusely before the elevator doors closed and I turned to my father.

"She'll be fine, don't worry," he said, opening his arms into which I settled, leaning my heavy head against his sagging shoulders. "Just call her every evening and eat well."

"And I'll have to call her before eight so she doesn't miss out Balika Vadhu," I added and he laughed, his old, soft belly quivering under my arms. We hailed a taxi from there and on the way to the airport, I scrolled through the messages on my phone, checking one last time if Dev, Pavitra or Lila had texted back. There was no sign of any of them, no replies or any blue ticks. I didn't expect anything from Dev or Pavitra, my chapters with them were closed, but Lila? All I hoped was one last message, but even she had withdrawn after knowing that I was leaving this city and everyone here behind.

After one last hug, my father stood outside, his gentle smile and droopy eyes as serene as Buddha's. He waved at me with that smile, his waves and that smile didn't cease till I disappeared from his sight. I tried carrying that smile with me, but my legs bounced on their own accord as I stood to get my bags checked in. Suddenly, I felt alone standing among crowds of people who radiated happiness and comfort. A mother fussed over her little daughter who had chocolate smeared around her lips, a father playfully ruffled his son's hair and pinched his ear, a couple leaned close to each other to whisper something. And here I was, still in between, belonging nowhere now.

"Tulsiiiiiii!" Out of that nowhere, I heard this scream and I whirled around to see a flash of frizz pounce over me and knock me off the floor. "Surprise!"

"Lila?"

"I'm coming with you!" she burst out, her eyes darting light and excitement. I pulled away from her hug, holding her arms, steadying myself and staring at her. My seriousness made her giggle. "Why? You don't want me to come?"

"Really? You're really coming with me to Delhi? Why? How? What will you do there?"

"I already got a job at a school. Kids will love me everywhere," she said, her words bouncing towards me that I could barely catch them. They were quick and sprightly and I was too lost in this dream that stood before me with her uncombed hair and luminous face. "I got an apartment there too. It'll be so much fun!"

"And-and your mother?"

"She dropped me here. She likes you now. She thinks you're more responsible than me---" she paused and pulled a sour face, before beaming again. "She wants me to go with you!"

"Are you sure?" I asked, again and again, not believing that this was real.

"I would have told you before, but then I wouldn't get to see this reaction," pointing at me, she giggled once more. "This is better than any airport scenes in the movies. You're better than any actress."

"I-I just can't believe this."

"You have to! Now come, I think we're on different flights." She grabbed my ticket, peeping at it. "Your flight is after mine. We'll have to meet in Delhi then. Don't leave there without me and find me!" She picked up her innumerable bags and rolling the trolley that contained more, she rushed ahead. "I have to go. I'll miss my flight. Find me there!"

"Find you?" I murmured to myself, watching her blow me a kiss and vanish as wonderfully as twinkling stars. "Find you? Always."

The End

***

Glossary :

Balika Vadhu- a Hindi serial.

Now that's done, firstly, THANK YOU for reading this book and supporting me. It means a lot that you have stuck with this story for so long <3 Please feel free to leave feedback or anything you want me to know, I'm always open to learn and improve my writing.

Secondly, I'm sorry to all Team Dev fans. But hey, he's single now ;)

Unfortunately, there won't be any epilogue or sequel for the sole reason that neither can ever bring Tulsi's story to a resolution. She'll always go through ups and downs and keep growing. And I hope from the bottom of all my fears and insecurities that this ending was satisfying. Bittersweet, but hopefully satisfying!

I'll also write a new book soon so you can keep this book in the library or follow me for updates. You can reach out to me via dms or on Instagram (id- subusays). I hope you all enjoyed this book and as I wished for at the beginning of this book, I hope you found a bit of yourself in this story.

Once again thank you and wish you the happiest diwali ❤

Until next book! :)