Chapter 29: Temporal

Yuki waited, his expression cold as he watched Akihiko leave the premises. The assassin hated the other with a vengeance. Yuki hated his foul mouth and lack of tack when it came to comments about himself. Never before had he been insulted so many times over such a short period of time. The assassin was great at what he did, rarely was he on the receiving end of less than positive remarks.

Once the other man had left, Yuki exhaled the breath that he had been holding, turning his attention to Massaki. “Now that the barking’s all gone, what do you want?” He said coolly. “I presume that it has to be of great importance to you to spend so much time solving the paper chase I had set up for you.”

He could feel Massaki sizing him up from the calculative approach the other man’s eyes took when they swept over him. “I came for you.” He raised an eyebrow at Yuki. Massaki was here to claim the assassin under his wing again. He had allowed Yuki to run from his grasp one too many times.

“I am declining the offer.” Yuki said, hard lines setting into the sharp angles of his delicate face, turning his expression from tense to feral. “I told you, I am not a piece of property.”

“You don’t have anywhere else to go.” Massaki smirked, seemingly pleased with himself.

“You underestimate my abilities, Massaki.” Yuki snorted. “I can always change my name and then there will be nothing for you to go ahead on.”

“You would have changed your name if you could. And you haven’t because you can’t.” This time Massaki knew he had hit a raw nerve when Yuki stiffened. “Isn’t that right, Kaze Yuki?”

Yuki held himself back. Massaki was right. He had nowhere to go. If he bought a new apartment, it would only be too easy for the other man to trace him down. Headquarters had also given him a strict warning with regards to changing his name. They had built up his image and credibly through many years of hard work and lives, and they certainly were not going to toss it all away because Yuki had a domestic problem. Yuki knew he was stuck with this man. He could either go with it, or resist it every step of the way. The latter was an incredibly tiring task and he had found himself tired of moving from hotel to hotel.

The fight seemed to go out of him at once when Yuki decided that it was no longer in his favour to keep up this resistance. Massaki would probably get tired of him once the older man had his fun. Perhaps that was the best way to solve this. Yuki was a tool to many, so why should it matter if he was a tool for Massaki. He was just doing his job.

“Kia, we’re going.” Yuki called out as he turned, not casting a backward glance at Massaki.

Kia only seemed very much relieved when Yuki had decided to go with them. Yuki felt sorry for him, having to deal with Massaki once in a while was enough for the assassin. He could not even imagine what Kia has to go through on a daily basis with Massaki as his boss.

The same black Bentley that pulled up at the front of hotel. Yuki climbed through the open door and into the plush interior with practised ease. This vehicle was familiar for a while. That was until he decided that there was no longer a need to associate himself with the man that slipped gracefully into the same confinements of the vehicle. An ache began to slowly consume his heart. This was the ache that he had been suppressing all this time, willing it out with Chaos’ presence and alcohol.