20

Ashton's POV:

I have just learned that Christmas doesn't only excite little pups; that new fact and lesson came for me when I woke up to my adult mate who is the future Alpha of the pack shaking my shoulder and excitedly telling me that it's Christmas.

I'm exhausted from helping to get last minute gifts and babysitting pups while their parents went shopping for their presents. That only irritates Sage who decides that stealing the blankets from me is the best course of action.

"Come on, it's Christmas!" he whines when I just ball myself up and try to keep sleeping. "Ashton..."

I open my eye and look at the clock. "Sage, love of my life, it's six in the morning. We can't even do gifts until the rest of the pack house wakes up."

"Okay? So we can go wake them up?" he suggests in a 'duh' tone, as if I was supposed to guess that.

"They need sleep, love," I tell him, sitting up and yawning. "I have something special for you that I can give you right now..."

Sage raises an eyebrow. "My ass is still sore from last night so pass. Maybe later tonight."

"It's not sex, you perverted brat. I got you a gift that I wanted to give you in private because it's special to me and I don't feel as though the whole pack needs to see it."

"Still sounds like the gift could be your dick... unless you're into public sex?" Sage asks me before he settles down and sits across from me on the bed. "Alright, what is it?"

I grab the small box that Zach helped me choose for the gift he assisted me with. I did all of the work for it, but Zach definitely offered me guidance to pack customs so I could give my mate the perfect present.

Sage opens the box and his expression softens. "How... how did you know about these?" he asks, lifting up the woven leather bracelet that has a small red jasper stone attached to it.

"Zach helped me. He explained that it's tradition for the future Alpha to receive this kind of gift, often given to them by their mate. He also said they had stones that represent the wolf whom receives it. I looked into it and learned that the red jasper represents strength, delicacy, and energy. Three things I seen in you and three components that I think a good Alpha possesses."

Sage holds out his arm and I put it on him, smiling when I see how perfectly it fits him. I think I did well on it, and from the softness and sparkle in my mate's eyes, I assume he agrees.

"You amaze me," Sage says, kissing me and finally relaxing. "Thank you, Ashton. I'm afraid my gifts will not measure up to this."

I kiss him back firmly and pull him into my lap. "You're better than any gift, angel," I whisper, Sage purring as he nuzzles my neck. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he replies, but before he can get up, I lay down and roll on top of him. "Ashton, get off!"

"You're not going to wake everyone up, Sage. I'm tired and I'll lay on top of you if it means you won't move and wake the others up. Wait until eight at least."

Sage squirms out from under me. "Fine, but I'm watching Christmas specials until you get up again."

He sits back and I curl against him, my head on his chest. Sage begins to run his fingers through my hair and I feel myself relaxing completely under his doting.

These are some the moments that I love the most. The ones where I can cuddle against the man who I am so deeply in love with, no one needing to ask us questions or order us around. It's just us together, relishing in each other's presence.