08

Ashton's POV:

I've officially been with Sage's pack for two weeks. In that time, I discovered it to be called the Western River pack based on their positioning in regards to the biggest river in the area. It's been the most peaceful and best two weeks of my life.

Not only am I now allowed to stay in the same room as my mate, but I have also had full meals and haven't had to guard a room full of Omegas and keep them from leaving. I am also an official member of this pack, as Sage's mother has accepted me and the other Alphas, as well as the Omegas who didn't belong to a pack.

However, with all of these things going well, I know Sage is worried about me. Ever since my fight with Ethan, I haven't left the pack house. I've mainly been in Sage's room, reading through the books that he has.

I learned to read when I was younger, before I was taken to the pack where I grew up. It took me a while to regain the reading skills that I had when I was young, but as soon as I got back into the groove, I've been reading every book Sage has in his room.

Honestly, I am hiding from the rest of the pack. I'm scared they won't accept me already, and I have one Alpha who I already know hates me. Plus, why should I leave when I have books at my disposal and I get to be surrounded by my mate's scent all day?

Sage is at a meeting right now to discuss the arrival of warriors from another pack whom are here to collect the Omegas that have been saved as well as their full moon ceremony. During the ceremony, they all pay respect to the moon goddess and thank her for their blessings, and it is a night where everyone is brought together.

It makes sense that we didn't have those at my old pack; there was nothing to be grateful for.

A knock at the door pulls me away from the pages of the book I'm reading and I see Owen poke his head in the door.

He and I have gotten closer over these two weeks whereas in the past he used to be close with Ronaldo and I with Liam. Since we've been in the same house, however, I've spent some of my down time with him whenever Sage and Zach have pack stuff to do.

Ronaldo has visited as well, but he's pushed the past to the past and has been able to move on. Maybe it's because he's older than myself and Owen, but he's thrown himself into training and working with the pack to become one of the warriors.

I wish I could move on like him and not have the demons of my past haunt me.

"Is Zach at that meeting as well?" I ask, and Owen nods, sitting on the floor.

Now that we have mates, we both understand how awkward it is to allow someone who isn't your mate on the bed. It makes it smell weird and it makes me feel more possessive and jealous when I'm cuddling with Sage and smell Owen.

"We're both going to have to attend them in the future, apparently," Owen says.

I already knew that.

With Sage and Zach's positions, Owen and I will be brought to meetings and trained to assist in protecting and guiding the pack. The very idea of it is terrifying to me, but I'll have to learn how and I can't throw away responsibilities because I'm afraid.

"How fun," I say in a flat voice, continuing to read my book. "Are you going to that so-called full moon ceremony?"

Owen grins and nods. "Obviously!" He then looks at me with a curious look. "Wait a minute... are you not going?"

"I... I don't know," I murmur, closing my book.

"You haven't left this house in two weeks, Ash! Come on, you can't hide in here forever!"