Chapter 3- New Home's, Rainy Day's & Childish Games

And I know that you're holding out for better weather
And I can't promise you that I'll be round forever
If there's one thing I know it's that we're good together
(If there's one thing I know it's that we're good together)
And I will try to hold you up through those times when you are gone
Despite the weather, it gets better
You won't do this alone (do this alone)
-Voldemort, With Confidence

•  -  -  •

𝙸𝙽 his life, James Pevensie had never really made too many long journeys. There had been a few to the north to visit his grandparents, and one or two when his Aunt Alberta and Uncle Harold had been babysitting- but apart from that Finchley had been the stretch of his travels. Being a resident of the professors home, which was in the countryside, was something that James was only half excited for. The prospect of seeing another side of life seemed to be endearing, however, he still wished to be home.

This journey seemed swift compared to the trains length. It could've been down to the change in scenery, but it was much more enjoyable for many reasons. If nothing else, it was the first time that James had ever been in a horse drawn cart.

They passed many trees, tall, large and beautiful. The grass was long and overgrown, the flowers were wild and colourful. Everything was so different to home. Despite the fact the travel was a bumpy one due to the horse on a country lane, James couldn't seem to find it anything worse than wonderful.

After half an hour or so, there was a hill with two lines of oak trees which created an archway. The house was at the end of the lane, if it could be called a house. As the horse and cart walked through tracks in the ground which had created through many journeys back and forth, the Pevensie's got their first good look at their new home- and it was magnificent.

Not only did it look like a country mansion, but the grounds spanned for acres. There were so many trees, and James couldn't wait to have a day where he could just enjoy himself. He had always loved climbing trees, but since the war had started, it had become less common. The professors home looked easy to get lost in, and maybe that wasn't a bad thing. Sometimes it's good to get lost before being found.

The animal stopped in front of the house, and the six people dismounted their transport. James' case felt light in his left hand as he pushed his blonde hair from his dark eyes. The doors seemed to loom over them like great shadows. He looked to his siblings who shared a similar expression to him: what a place this was.

Mrs Macready took out a large brass key and twisted it in the lock. The large oak doors opened with a deafening, eery creak.

In London they had been one of the better off families, but after seeing this home, James knew that they really weren't. The professors abode seemed to be another class entirely.

As they walked into the hallway, Mrs Macready told the children many things as she started to tell them of the home and where everything was. Still she was stern, and still she was frightening.

"Professor Kirke is not accustomed to havin' children in this house." She said as they wandered behind her, stopping at the bottom of the stairs to take in all of their surroundings. James had never seen so much finery.

There were busts across the surfaces of polished wood cases. Bookcases we're not uncommon, but neither were blunted weapons which were hung across pea-green walls. A large red rug covered half of the marble flooring. It was stunning.

As he stepped forwards, James heard the sound of his heel click on the ground. It enjoyed loudly. It would be extremely difficult to hide, should it ever come to it.