Chapter 1- The Shelter

Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
I'm tired and I
I want to go to bed

𝘼𝙨𝙡𝙚𝙚𝙥 - 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙎𝙢𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙨

The air-raid warning sirens were overpowering and the German engines rattled the streets of London. Over the past month, it had been a constant, and yet James Pevensie still hadn't gotten used to the sound. Darkness had fallen over them hours prior, but there would be no light until morning. Anyone who made it to then classed it as an achievement.

     The bombings had started for the night. It was close to one in the morning by the time the siren blared through the streets, and the Pevensie's were in a panic. They were no different to every other family, only, their broken routine never seemed to get better. Everything fell to pierces the moment it came into practice.

     There were five children running through the house, all trying to achieve opposing goals with their frantic mother darting around like some sort of madwoman, just so that their Anderson Shelter would be as comfortable as possible. James could already tell that the night ahead would be long and gruelling. He would probably go sleepless for another night, with restless legs, and a racing mind.

     The Anderson Shelter was what he hated the most about the raids. It was their only hope of survival, and yet, it was nothing more than corrugated iron and pack by slabs. Despite being decorated on the inside with embroidered cushions and blankets to give it a homely feel, it was still grey. It was still dull. But it did keep them safe, and that was enough, he supposed.

Edmund Pevensie was a raven haired boy with deep brown eyes who, like many boys his age, had a fascination for battle. Perhaps that was why he was so foolish. That boyish nature. He shouldn't have even been awake in the first place. In the front room of the house, which had a sickly green wallpaper plastered onto the surfaces, was a large bay window. There he stood, watching the explosive shells fall to the ground with a ferocious fire following swiftly.

     Edmund knew how stupid he was being. He had been told far too many times, not just by his mother, Helen, but by both of his elder brothers. Despite its danger, he could hardly help himself. It was something so rare. Frankly, it was just too exciting to miss.

     Shock rang in the air as Mrs Pevensie, how could be no older than forty, ran into the room. Her face contorted into one of pure pain and horror seeing as her son just stood there, in awe.

   "Edmund!" Her hands stretched to pull the brown eyed boy from the glass, shakily pulling the curtains so any light was blocked out. "Peter!" Helen cried out for her second son, knowing the eldest would be busy, checking the youngest for any scrapes. "What do you think you're doing?"

Thankfully, he was free of any. It would be difficult to clean his wounds in the dim light of the shelter. There wasn't much in there at all.

Again she called for her son, and that second time, a blonde haired, blue eyed boy raced into the room. Fear was held in his face, mirroring his mother's image, but kept calm as the orders were sprung upon him.

   "Peter!" She commanded. "Quickly, the shelter! Now!"

It took barely a second for him to grab onto Edmund's jumper before running towards the garden. "Come on!"