Chapter 12- The Return

And you don't have to hesitate
Hopefully it isn't too late
- See You Later (Ten Years), Jenna Raine

•  -  -  •

𝙽𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙰𝚁𝙴𝚂 are a common thing, and though sleeping during a war was a task, James Pevensie had been plagued with them for a lot of his life. There were many things that would cross his mind during the night, but one thing frightened him more than anything. It was more than the crowds, more than war, more than dying. The idea of his family being hurt often arose and made him sick. However, there was a fear that it would come true.

     The next morning, James awoke, a tense feeling poking around his stomach. Despite the promises of Aslan, and the work of Oreius, James couldn't help but be slightly doubtful. There was always the chance that Edmund wouldn't return, and if he did, his young brother would be ill or broken.

     What would he do if Edmund didn't come back? He would have to be the one to break it to their Mum. James would have to say he had died, in the countryside. They couldn't take his body back. Could they?

    When daylight had hit, and sounds that the day had really begun had started, James sat on his bed. He felt much better than he had the night before, but that sickly feeling stopped him from smiling.

     Peter had also woken at the same time, and left the tent first. James, after standing, realised he couldn't walk properly, so didn't try to push himself. Instead, he limped a little after his brother.

     The younger blonde stopped, and with the oldest not noticing, he walked straight into his brother. James almost fell at the impact, but Peter set the elder steady. The brown eyed boy turned to the direction his brother was facing, and saw what had startled him.

     Aslan was on top of the hill, but he wasn't alone.

     A fairly skinny, brown haired boy in a scratchy cotton jumper was stood talking to the lion. Edmund.

    Relief rushed through James's veins, suddenly feeling less guilty, a weight lifting from his heart. Despite not being out of the woods just yet due to the pain Edmund would've endured, everything seemed better.

    However, there was still that underlying guilt. The sort of green guilt that lay deep inside of his mind. As Edmund's older brother, he felt awful as he wasn't able to protect his family. That was his only job.

     As they stared at the scene, their sisters soon joined them outside. At first, they didn't notice. The girls were giggling and laughing until Lucy stopped in her tracks. She'd seen their brother.

  "Edmund!" She lurched forwards to see her raven-haired siblings, but Peter was too quick and held her back. Edmund's conversation with Aslan would be an important one.

     The four Pevensie's watched as the King and their brother conversed, then turned to face the siblings. That was the first proper look James got at his younger brother. It was a striking sight. Cuts and bruises littered Edmund's face. There was nothing fatal, in that sense, he was lucky.

    The freckles brother turned back to the lion, who nodded. As James was unaware of what their conversation consisted of, it was hard to tell what he was insinuating. Edmund then took another look at his family, and intentions became clear.

     Down he walked the grassy hill, dressed the same as the day they had run from the broken window and cricket ball. That day seemed an eternity ago now, but in reality, it couldn't have been more than a few days.

    Edmund looked sheepish, and had every right to be- but his siblings didn't care. Of course, he didn't know that. But his siblings never truly minded.

     "What's done is done." The wise words came from Aslan as he and Edmund joined the Pevensie's. "There is no need to speak to Edmund about what is past." Then, he left, letting them all talk for the first time in a while.

  "Hello..." he said, eyes trained upon the ground, almost in a whisper. The cut on his lip was more visible now, red and raw.

  James was the first to move. His arms wrapped tightly around his younger brother, holding him close. It felt better than anything knowing that they could go home, that all four of them could go home. "We've missed you. I was so worried."

  "I'm sorry."

  "Don't be," James told him, rubbing the back of his brother's head. "It doesn't matter. You're back. That's all I care about."

  When the eldest let go, Lucy raced forwards, hugging Edmund, to which he replied wholly. Susan followed swiftly, a light laugh on her lips as it happened. It was a relief for all of them. "Are you alright?"

  "I'm a little tired."

  "Get some sleep," Peter said, dully. Almost as if he were expecting something different, Edmund walked away.

  James warned. "Peter..."

  "And Edmund," the blonde turned to face their dark haired younger brother. "Try not to wander off." A smile spread across their faces, Edmund's in particular. He mustn't have smiled in so long.

     An hour or two later, when Edmund had re-emerged from the brothers' tent, wearing more Narnian style clothes. The siblings sat around a small, round table as they are boiled eggs and buttered bread from silver plates. Even in London, they couldn't have simple food like this very often. Rationing had limited their food supply, as it had for everyone.

     Peter wasn't sat with the others. He was pacing a little, hand guarding the handle of his sword as he drank from a silver goblet. Each Pevensie, bar Edmund, had a weapon close in car of another attack. None kept it closer than James: he was fearful for many things.

     Edmund scoffed a lot of the food, but no one could blame him. They didn't know the last time he'd eaten properly.

  "Narnia's not going to run out of toast, Edmund." Lucy commented, causing the boy to laugh.

  "I'm sure they'll pack something up for the journey back." Peter said.

  "We're going home?" Susan asked.

  "You are." Peter said, bluntly.

  "We've talked about this, Pete." James said, softly.

  "You've talked about this?" The oldest girl scoffed.

  "Yes." Replied the blonde. "Only to say that we shouldn't split up again. God knows it didn't do us any good."

  "He promised Mum that he'd keep you all safe." Peter told them.

  "All includes you Peter," James said as his brother sat beside him. "She told me to look after all of you."

  "But they need us!" Lucy cried, though tone still soft. "All five of us."

  "Lucy, it's too dangerous. You almost drowned! Edmund was almost killed! James was close to being mauled!"

  "Everywhere we go there will be danger, Peter." James said, monotonously. "It's London's War, or Narnia's."

  Edmund then mumbled. "Which is why we have to stay. I've seen what the White Witch can do. And I've helped her do it. And we can't leave these people behind to suffer for it." Lucy took her brothers hand.

  "Well, I suppose that's it, then." Susan said, getting up.

  "Where are you going?" Asked Peter.

  The girl picked up her bow and arrows. "To get in some practice."

•  -  -  •
1259
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I'm just a fan of C.S.Lewis' books and the films.
The only thing I do own is the character of James Pevensie and his story line.