Chapter 17- King James, Heir of Aslan

Staying back in your memory
Are the movies in the dark
How you moved is all it takes
To sing a song of when I loved
The prettiest star
- The Prettiest Star, David Bowie

𝙱𝚛𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 yellow light shone through the vast windows of Cair Paravel. Small rainbow-like streaks curved through the clear air, reflecting what beautiful tones it consisted of. The Castle was filled with being from all of Narnia, each had been waiting for this day for their entire lives. After all, the prophecy had predicted it long before the Pevensie's were born.

An echoing of trumpets through the grand hall signalled that the time had come. Only moments later, the Pevensie siblings stepped through the open doorway, and were presented to their future subjects.

James was first to enter the room, after Aslan. His clothes were the most intricate of the group, buttons of silver, and indigo silk sewn to puffy blue sleeves and a clear cape to top it off. He get both regal, and ridiculous. If anyone in Finchley saw him now, he was sure to have a busted nose and black eye within a minute. But in Narnia, he was admired.

For the first time in his life, people were admiring him for who he really was.

Peter, who was dressed in navy with a golden cape, and Susan who wore a silver-ish blue followed swiftly. The youngest two Pevensie's pulled up the rear, Edmund in silver, and Lucy in red and white. Truly, they looked like royalty. No one could deny it.

They lined up, facing the set of marble thrones at the head of the hall. James stood, nervously, beside Aslan as his brothers and sisters surrounded the two. When the Lion began to walk, they did too.

It was not a large aisle they had to step down, however, James found it to last an eternity. As usual, he worried. Though, in a situation such as this, it was reasonable.

Imminently, James would be crowned the High King of Narnia. However, this wasn't all. There would be territories granted to him, people to help, and should the day come where Aslan was incapable, James would become the ruler of Narnia. This ceremony would place him as the official heir of the Lion.

There were doubts, but only from the eldest Pevensie. Aslan had never given a reason not to trust James, even after all of the evil splayed from his hands. The lion was a good being, the kindest the blonde had ever met. He was grateful. No one else would ever compare, because no other human could forgive murder.

With each step, and each heel clicking on the floor, James gulped. He did not falter in movement, but suddenly felt sick. It was natural, but unpleasant more than anything.

Nearer the thrones, Centaurs lined he aisles, swords raised high like an arch. The blonde blushed slightly. Even if it wasn't all just for him, partially it was. The people of Narnia made an effort for the Pevensie's as a whole, and as the man of the house- with all regrets that came with it- he felt proud of his family. James always was, proud, but now more than ever.

After reaching the stone steps, as a six they walked upwards, until the thrones were beside them. James was at the centre, with brothers to his right and sisters to his left. Aslan stood tall, facing the Pevensie's as they looked upon the crowd.

This moment was historic.

The Beavers held onto a cushion each, two crowns on both. Following closely behind, the red furred fox that James had the pleasure of meeting twice before. Beside them, Mr Tumnus, who seemed to feel pressure, but as the bearer of the crowns, his role was irreplaceable.