Chapter Eight - Not Ready.

Ajinke's POV;

"What?? "I question in bewilderment, and she eyes me with hate before averting her gaze.

"Is that true? "The prince questions the little child and he nods. The prince then takes a deep breath before looking up at Ronke.

" You will join the kitchen maids, and for the next two weeks, you will single-handedly do all the dishes used in the palace.  "The prince begins.

"Ah! "Ronke protests, but the prince continues either way.

"You will no longer get to take turns on the maid's cleaning roaster. Every day, you are expected to clean the palace with the maids, and report back to me at the end of every day."He adds, and I have to battle to swallow my laugher when I see the distraught look on Ronke's face.

" But your highness...  "She begins but is cut off by the prince.

" Three weeks.  "

" Your highness please, he's just lying...  "

"Four weeks. "

"Ah, my prince, please... I'm sorry... "

"Five weeks..."

"Ah! "

"Six weeks. "The prince says again, and Ronke is forced to keep shut as she knows that if she utters another word, her punishment will only be stretched further.

" Are you done, or do you need more weeks added? "The prince questions,

"I'm done... "Ronke replies with a shaky voice, and it takes only the grace of goddess Yaremi to stop me from exploding with laughter when the prince replies,

" Seven weeks. "

I hear Ronke inhale sharply in shock, and I roll my tongue around in my mouth to stop the smile crawling up my face.

The prince looks up at her and parts his lips to speak.

"You can leave now. Your duties begin as soon as you leave this room. "The prince says, and Ronke nods. She silently walks out of the room and a guard follows after her.

Leaving I, the prince, a guard, and the little boy alone in the room.

The prince looks up at me, and I freeze momentarily.
I watch his eyes dance over me, and I don't dare move a muscle. His eyes jump up to mine, and I gulp.

"You may leave. Go get yourself cleaned, and resume your duties."He says to me, and I nod quickly. As I turn to exit the room, the prince's voice stops me.

"What did you say your name is again? "He questions, and I swallow. Turning myself to face him properly.

"Ajinke, "I reply while facing the ground but sneakily watching him from under my lashes.

He nods and then waves his hand.

"You may leave."

I am about to obey his order when the little boy jumps off the prince's legs and runs up to me. He stands beside me and takes my fingers in his hand while shining a toothy smile up at me.

I raise a brow at the beautiful child, and he speaks.

"Thank you aunty Ajinke."

I smile genuinely at the little child. His beautiful smile, so pure and flawless. I stoop down before him and take his cheeks in my hands.

"You're welcome, dear. Next time she troubles you, come and tell me.  I'd make sure she's taught a lesson."I say to the little child, and he chuckles.