Epilogue

~ Epilogue ~

"That night.. I got to the hospital and spent that very last night with him watching old One Direction videos and home videos. When I got home from the funeral two days later.. This letter was waiting on top of our bed. And that's the very last letter your great grandpa ever sent to me," April Payne smiled faintly at the little girl and boy sitting at her feet, fingering the bulk of letters their great grandma had handed them.

"And that was five whole years ago?" The nine year old boy asked with wide brown eyes. 

"Yes," April laughed, her voice crinkly from old age. "You were only four. Your mom dressed you up all fancy and you spilled fruit punch on her dress."

"I remember that well, the stain never fully came out!" Brianna added from beside the two little children.

April took this time to look around the room. She was overcome with emotions.. Ian and his wife, Eileen, were sitting off to the side. Then Layla and Tori with their husbands. Then, of course, Brianna with her two young ones. The entire family wasn't there, but that didn't matter. April got to tell the story that she loved to tell. It was little Naomi and little Liam's first time hearing that story. So April showed them each letter, reading out only her favorites as she relived her love story. Her children and grandchildren each interrupted once, making sure April remembered absolutely everything. That way, they never missed a detail.

"Happy Birthday, mum. Ninety-three and still kicking," Ian leaned over to press a chaste kiss against April's wrinkly cheek.

"Thanks, honey. Now.. You need to drive me to see your dad. You know how upset he'd be if he didn't get some cake," April winked.

Tori jumped out of her seat, her and Ian both helping their mother up while Brianna grabbed April's cane. It took a bit, but they finally got her comfortably seated in the passenger side. With nine family members waving her off, she felt a rush of happiness. Ian started the car and they drove in silence, April's eyes on the passing scenery while Ian had his on the slightly icy road ahead of him.

"I don't know how I've survived this long without him," she finally broke the silence, eyes still set on the tall trees that zipped by quickly.

"Because you've had us. We've needed you these past years. You've pulled us all together, especially with the letters. They give us all some sort of connection," Ian replied without hesitance, his answer not needing a second thought.

"But now every one of you has a new life, one that doesn't need me. I'm happy with that, because you're all happy. I've lived to my fullest."

"Don't say that, mum. We still need you," Ian said, although he knew he was arguing against a headstrong woman. He pulled into the familiar parking lot and rushed around to help the little old lady with white hair out. 

She gave her thanks, before telling him to wait in the car. He, as always, obeyed. Ian settled himself onto the car's hood, knowing in the back of his mind, that he wasn't as young as he once was. That he, as well, was growing old.

April took her time, each step seeming like a mile. Eventually, she stood before the memorized gravestone. With just a little trouble, she dropped onto her knees. A small smile made its way to her lips as tears filled her eyes.

"I miss you. You know that, too. I've only been coming here and saying that twice a week for the past five years. It feels like it's been so much more time than that.. Sometimes, though, I'll feel you smiling at me. I know that every once in a while, I do something to make you laugh. I've always been good at that, my foolishness always did bring you joy." April laughed, short and sweet.

Memories of all the things her and Liam did together flashed through her mind. How, once upon a time, she didn't need a cane to get around. How sixteen year old April and Liam ran around parks, laughing gleefully and pointing out every single thing they could. How twenty-three year old Liam would pick her up and sling her over his shoulder, as if she weighed nothing. The little kisses they would share, that would only be a peck but would convey the love they felt for each other. How they felt when Ian had been placed in their arms for the very first time, a dependent little boy who had no idea what was meant for him in the world.

"I'm coming to you soon, Liam. It's been too long. The children.. They've grown up. They have their own children now.. And their own grandchildren. They're all so beautiful.. And they all have little bits of us in them. Little Liam has your eyes. Naomi has your laugh. Noah, even though he's only five, sings like you. They've made me proud, and I know they've made you proud. I've been there for them, and now they don't need me. So now it's time for me to go home. Time for me to be selfish.. Because I need you," April let those last words out, her eyes no longer filled with tears. She no longer felt sadness for her loss, she no longer needed to mourn. "I'll see you soon."

A finger withdrew from the coat that was bundled tightly around April's small body. She touched the gravestone, she traced the words written across it.

Liam James Payne

Loving father, neighbor, friend.. And most important, loving husband.

"PS, I Love You."

~The End~