Twelve

April's 500th Letter

Ages
April: 20
Liam: 21

Liam,

So it's been six months. Six months since I've seen you laugh, six months since I last hugged you, six months since you decided we just weren't working out. Sometimes it's hard.. I see you everywhere. You're in the magazines, you're on the TV, you're on the radio. It's like I can't escape you.

I know you're happy with Jenna. I see the pictures and I hear how happy your voice sounds when you mention her in an interview. Even before we dated, she would be the last person I'd have expected you to date. She is perfect in every aspect, which was never something you looked for in a girl. I always thought you liked the girls with quirks, the girls who were proud to not be your every day girl. But if she makes you happy..

I still wonder. I still wonder why you just suddenly weren't feeling the same way about me. It was like one day we were happy, then the next we weren't. Once day we were traipsing around New York, causing havoc while laughing and holding hands. The next day, you woke up and you were just over-all depressed. Did someone say something? Did I do something wrong? I want to understand, I truly do.

I still talk to Harry and Niall. I know it sounds creepy, but I want to know how you're doing.

Not only did I lose a boyfriend, I lost a best friend. Someone who would send me letters signed "Your Best Friend Forever." I guess forever isn't a very long time, is it?

I'm still proud of you and all your accomplishments. The entire band has come so far. Harry told me that you still have the ring I bought you. I hope you keep it, no matter how far apart we get. Which I guess we can't grow any farther apart, we're just about at the end of the rope, aren't we?

I don't know how you're going to respond to this letter. I don't even know if I'm going to send it. I need closure. It's been six months, but I still look in my mailbox.. Expecting another of your cheesy love letters that would brighten up my entire day. It's over. I need to accept that fact. 

April.

PS, I miss and I love you.

This letter never reached Liam. Instead, April kept it hidden in her top dresser drawer. During the breakup, she'd occasionally re-read it but Liam never actually read this letter.