46

Sofia

When I hear the loud and overcrowding cheers come from the field next to us, I know the game has ended. I look over quickly as I walk over to home plate and see all the boys cheering, now i know our boys have won. 

I smile when I see Coal's face light up with a smile as he celebrates and jumps around with the rest of the team. Then I remember I'm in the middle of my own game. I quickly shift my attention back to the field. 

"Come of Sofia!!" Someone says from the crowd, "It's all or nothing." 

All or nothing.

Three words, 12 letters, but infinite meanings. 

Were down by one in the last inning, with two outs already. I have to make it to a base if we want to win this thing. 

I won't let everything that we have worked for this year go to shit for this game. 

I want all the tears back that I fucking cried over my dad for. It was a waste of my energy and a waste of time for me to mourn it. I'm going to get those back today. Here on this field, when we win, everything will be worth it. 

I practice my swing a few times before getting into stance. My eyes scan the position of the pitcher. Her feet placement, body movement, hand positions. I watch how her feet shift as she brings the ball up to throw. Unbalanced. 

The ball slips out of her hand and comes blazing hot toward me. 

I tighten my grip around the bat and within a second I swing in an under rotation and the ball goes flying out to left field. Perfect. 

I don't wait to see where it lands, I just run. Passing first base I look to see the left fielder hasn't gotten the all yet so I continue to run. 

Then I look up again as I;m half way and see that the fielder is about to throw the ball to second base man. 

Shit. 

I pick up my pace as much as physically possible, but when  see the ball is being thrown I have no chance if I keep running. 

So when I get close enough I slide into second base, and when I do, my knee buckles. 

I groan in pain as I reach second base, cradling my knee once my foot lands on the white pad on the ground. 

I hear the ump call a strong, "Safe." And I'm relieved.

But as soon as I'm relieved as just as much in excruciating pain. 

My knee burns with aching and stinging as I try to stand up. 

I look up at the second base man who seems to have a sly smirk on her face. 

Looks like she's happy that the best softball player in the state just got hurt, and badly. 

"What the fuck are you looking at?" I snap at her, which makes her turn the other way, and even walk a few steps away. 

"Hey Sofia, Sofia are you alright?" Coach K says as she approaches me on the field. 

I cringe as I finally am able to stand on my one foot.