| 16 | Saturday, August 8

|  1 6  | Saturday, August 8

Suffice to say, Arizona May is screwed.

            She and the four others are currently splayed across a green lawn downtown. The Saturday Market is a once-a-week thing in this part of the city, where everybody who wants to-mostly hippies and over-priced jewelry sellers-sets up stalls, and it's the most people Arizona ever sees in one spot at the same time.

            They sit with tacos and Italian sodas away from the crowd in a field, some families and other people picnicking some distance away. Arizona had just told everybody what exactly went down a week and a day ago. It had taken her long enough, but now she has, it still hasn't relieved much of anything from her. "Damn," says Romy, pushing her glasses up to rest on her forehead, and leans back on her elbows, legs stretched out before her, towards Gem.

            "Jhyeah," snorts Crosley, shaking his head, "Arizona May, more like Arizona Mess."

Gem smacks his arm and he kicks her soda over, spilling all of the orange contents out onto the grass.

            "The hell," whines Gem, scowling. "Go buy me another one. Now. Dick."

            "You're such a bossy scrub."

            "You're a child, go buy me one right now, Crosley." Gem glares at him hard, and he watches her expressionlessly for a few long moments before sighing and getting up. On his way towards he food stands, he throws his jacket over her head, and Arizona can hear Gem's huff.

            "Anyway," says Briana, smirking at Gem's flushed face. She turns to Arizona again, scratching her straight, black hair. "Zona, you do know that you're going to have to break up with Jeremy, right?"

            "What?" says Arizona, blankly. She knew that they would say that, but she didn't think that they would come right out and say it. She thought that maybe they would brainstorm ideas with her or something, at least humor her for a little while.

            "I mean, you're going to college. You're both going to college. Long distance relationships never work, man," Briana shrugs, picking at the ends of her hair, studying them for split ends. And Arizona realizes that Briana is right, and she had been so stupid that she hadn't even thought about that, yet. College isn't even that far away, either-move-in day is at the end of the month. She'd already started packing up some of her things in brown boxes. Arizona has no clue what the hell is going to happen with her relationship.

            "Relationship."

             "You gotta break up with him," says Romy, pushing her sunglasses back over her eyes, again. "You don't even like him, it'll be alright."

            "But he's so sweet-"

            "-and cute, and funny, and nice, and you could never do that, ever, yeah, we know, Arizona." Crosley shows up suddenly, throwing another glass bottle of orange soda at Gem, who catches it impressively. "It's going to happen one way or another. Save some dignity, break up with him."

            "But-"

            "Just," Romy fixes her with a hard look, "do it. It'll be better for everyone."

            Arizona sighs in compliance. "Bossy scrub," Crosley coughs into his curled fist.

                                                         ♥     ♥     ♥