S1 E3 - The Man with the Umbrella {Part 3}

Morning was here and everyone was getting up as the speaker announced.

"It is now breakfast time. All players, please form a line in the center."

Ji-ah was sat next to Sae-byeok and 212 was pestering her.

"Hey, what did you see? Tell me now. You said you'd tell me in the morning, I'm sure you had time to see something."

Sae-byeok responded monotonously.

"Those masked people were melting something in large pots."

212 asked.

"Melting what?"

Sae-byeok responded.

"I'm not sure."

212 scoffed in disbelief.

"Damn it. I-"

Ji-ah gave her a look as if to say "we", making 212 carry on.

"We put on that huge show trying to save your life, and you're not sure?"

Sae-byeok was silent for a few seconds as she fiddled with her fingers, she then added.

"I smelled something."

212 asked eagerly.

"What smell?"

Sae-byeok answered.

"Sugar."

212 asked again.

"You smelled sugar? So they were melting sugar?"

Sae-byeok stated.

"I think so."

212 annoyingly asked again.

"That's all you saw?"

Sae-byeok nodded without speaking and 212 sighed before leaning in and muttering.

"Listen, if you're holding something back, I'm going to burn your eyes out."

Sae-byeok turned her head and looked at 212 with a look that said, "do it then", but 212 straitened up and changed the subject.

"I guess I'm hungry, I'm craving something sweet."

She turned around and walked off, making Ji-ah smirk and state with a chuckle.

"She's all bark and no bite. Trust me, if she does try to "burn your eyes out", she'll be dead before she even reaches you. I'll make sure of that."

Ji-ah patted Sae-byeok's thigh playfully and stood up, she then made her way to a line. Not realising what that simple gesture did to Sae-byeok's feelings.

Waiting in the line, Ji-ah soon got to the front, she looked at the square masked man and noticed it was the same one who gave her favourite meal to her the other day. And how she knows it's him, is because she's been studying him, taking every look she can at him and using her memory to take notes on his height, build, etc. He seemed familiar, but she didn't know where or how.

So, when she got handed her food and drink, she smiled and announced.

"Ooh, strawberry milk, my favourite. Thanks, man."

She then happily took it from the guard and walked out of the line. Ji-ah climbed up to Sae-byeok's bunk and sat opposite her, leaning against the bar.

Ji-ah ate some of the food and then slowly drank the milk to savour it as she hasn't had it in a while.

As she was about to speak to a quiet Sae-byeok, announcement music came from the speaker and the voice spoke.