S1 E1 - Red Light, Green Light {Part 1}

Sitting down on a bench, Lee Ji-ah had a lot of things on her mind. From her deceased mother, to how she's going to pay for the electricity and such with money she doesn't even have.

But as she was in deep thought, Lee Ji-ah jumped when someone tapped her shoulder. She looked up and did a double take when a tall handsome man in a suit was standing in front of her. He tilted his head and asked.

"Miss? Can I talk to you?"

Ji-ah furrowed her eyebrows before responding slowly.

"Sure, as long as you don't kidnap me."

The man smiled and continued.

"Don't worry, I won't. Unless you want me to."

Ji-ah opened her mouth, but nothing came out. The man shook his head and carried on.

"Would you like to play a game with me?"

Ji-ah squinted and asked curiously.

"What kind of game?"

The man didn't speak, he just opened a brief case and showed it to her. Ji-ah looked at it shocked as she saw two coloured tiles. Some was red and some was blue, there was a lot of money as well. The man asked.

"Have you played Ddakji before?"

He picked up a red and blue tile and Ji-ah answered.

"I don't think so."

The man added.

"Well, play a round with me and each time you win, I'll pay you 100,000 won."

Ji-ah glanced from the tiles to the money and began biting her nail, she then gathered up some courage and replied.

"Fine, but how do I play?"

The man explained.

"If you hit my ddakji with yours and it flips over, I give you 100,000 won. But if I can flip yours, you will give me the exact same amount of money."

Ji-ah slouched and muttered.

"But, sir. I don't have that amount of money to give."

The man stated.

"Make sure to win then, you can be the first to play. What colour do you choose?"

Ji-ah looked at the two tiles and announced.

"Well, since I'm obsessed with Harry Potter and in Ravenclaw. Blue it is." (A/N: I might make an alternative book where she picks red. Idk.)

The man handed her the blue tile and she stood up, he placed the red tile on the floor and Ji-ah adjusted her position so she could throw it down. And when she did, she sighed in disappointment when her tile didn't even move the other one.

The man picked up his and threw it down, making the blue tile flip over. Ji-ah placed her hands on her hips and mumbled.

"Shite."

She awkwardly scratched her neck and stated again.

"Um, like I said, I don't have money to give you. Can we work something out? Like.."

The guy offered bluntly.

"How about you use your body to pay?"

Ji-ah's eyes widened and her mouth dropped in shock, she exclaimed completely appalled.

"Excuse me? M-My body? I'm not a bloody prostitute!"

The man chuckled and shook his head before suddenly slapping her around the face. Ji-ah gasped and held her cheek, she looked at him incredulously and exclaimed again.

"What the fuck was that for?! You're the one who suggested something inappropriate!"

The man announced.

"I'll take a 100 grand off per slap."

Ji-ah crossed her arms and glared at the man before sighing in annoyance.

"Fine, at least I'm being slapped by someone handsome."

The game continued and by now, Ji-ah's cheek was bright red. She had been slapped a lot of times and she was totally over the game and just wanted it to be over. So, she bent down and picked up her tile, calmly breathing in and out before throwing it down.

Jumping up and down in victory when she finally made the red tile flip over, she exclaimed excitedly.

"Ha! Take that, you handsome piece of shit! Does this mean I can slap you back?"

She gave him puppy eyes and he held up some money and stated.

"Your 100 grand."

She happily took the money off of him and sat down as she was exhausted. The man announced.

"You know, there are other games like this where you can make even more."

Ji-ah paused and thought about it, but the man stated.

"Come on, it must sound tempting."

Ji-ah sighed and spoke.

"Listen, sir. I recently got my mother cremated after taking care of her for 3 years back in England. But I came back here because it was too painful. I'm sure this amount of money can pay for the stuff that needs to be payed. Yes, it does sound tempting, but I'm sure I can manage with just this."

The man stood up and uttered.

"Miss Lee."

Ji-ah's head snapped up and she asked.

"How do you know my name? I didn't even mention it."

The man straitened his posture and added.

"Your name is Lee Ji-ah and your English name, Lily. You're 19 years old and you attended Abbey College in England for 3 years. You've never had a job and you've been in debt all of your life. You're on the brink of getting evicted from your house and cannot find your father or brother."

Ji-ah looked at this man in confusion before speaking rapidly.

"How do you know so much about me? Are you a stalker? Oh, my, God, I've got myself a stalker. I never thought I'd have a stalker. Who even are you? You look like a Salesman who just slapped me many times for some money."

The man didn't say anything as he reached inside his jacket pocket and pulled out a card. He then stated.

"We don't have many spots left."

Ji-ah curiously snatched the card off of him and looked at it, there were three shapes and a number on the back. He spoke again.

"Just think about it and ring that number if you want to participate. Have a good night, Miss."

He picked up his briefcase and walked off, Ji-ah just stood there trying to think about what had just happened. But she shrugged it off and left to get some jobs done.