Chapter 9: The Barrier Comes Down

Location: Castle Balcony

"Lady Mal and I want to thank you for celebrating our engagement with us today. I couldn't be prouder or happier to call you my queen. So..." Ben raised his glass in honour of Mal. "Raise your glasses. To our future queen of Auradon."

"To our Queen of Auradon." Crowd toasted in unison.

"Speech, Your specialness."

"Speech, Oh, Fancy one." Everyone laughed at Carlos and Jay's comments.

"I can't. I can't be queen of Auradon." Mal stated. The chatter began to spread across the crowd.

"Mal?" Ben questioned.

"I turned my back on the Isle" She explained to Ben, she looked back at the crowd. "We made a decision to close the barrier forever... and it was my idea. But it's wrong." She looked at the Isle in the distance and returned a quick look at Brooklyn, who had a confused look on her face, she didn't understand what Mal was doing. "I've learned that you can't live in fear. Because it doesn't actually protect you from anything. You never know where the bad is going to come from either. Without Uma and her pirates, Auradon would be gone. And without Hades... my father... Audrey would be gone. We are all capable of good and bad, no matter which side of the barrier we come from." She paused; she took a deep breathe before continuing, knowing the reactions she would get. "And that's why I can't be queen of Auradon, I'm meant to be queen of the Isle, too, but I failed. I'm am not someone who is meant to be queen, because I don't think about everyone."

She looked at Brooklyn and stayed with her this time. "But I know someone who already does the duties of the Queen, she just doesn't have the title." Brooklyn looked around, not realising Mal was talking about her. "She is someone who always make sure everyone is safe, has the proper care, and she is always there if someone needs her. She is someone who people can actually count on. That person... is Brooklyn LeGume." Gasps escaped from the crowd. "She is the Queen that Auradon and the Isle deserve, and this time I am actually going to follow her advice and not push it aside like I've always done, it's time that we take the barrier down forever."

"We can't do that." Adam tried to say, but his son wouldn't let him continue.

We can't the rulers if we've only thought about Auradon, we already failed. We have to be the rulers of Auradon AND the Isle, we didn't think about the Isle, about the kids. Brooklyn already does what we were supposed to do. She will make an amazing Queen and I know that Harry will make an amazing King, I will even be there to help him. We'll become the advisors." Ben looked at his sister. "Brooklyn, come up here and claim your crown." Brooklyn was still in shocked at what just transpired. Seeing she wasn't moving, Carlos and Jay gave her a, not so small, push.

"Yes!" Carlos cheered.

"Thank you so much for this." Brooklyn's voice cracked at the end. She turned to look at her subjects. "Thank you for accepting me to be your queen and I will make sure that you are heard." She looked at each of her friends and gave a soft smile and placed a hand on her stomach. "I will be requiring loads of help specifically for these nine months." Once again, gasps spread across the crowd, Ben walked forward and raise Brooklyn's free hand.

"Your queen is pregnant!" Loud cheers and screams came from the crowd below, Auradon already had a heir, a heir that was both Auradon and Isle, a heir that would be loved by all.

"Bring it down, Brooklyn." Ben smiled and handed her FG's wand.

"To make the world a better place..." Brooklyn started.

"...We have to do it face to face." The VKs finished. A white streak was released from the wand and hit the top of the barrier, the barrier was coming down, the villains were finally free.