Four

"How about we make a deal?" was probably not the best thing I could have said as I entered the room in the library but it was the most logical thing in my mind.

Alistair was already there, two books opened to pages in front of him, white paper and the dratted pink sheet spread out, as well as a calculator, red pen and two pencils, and he was leaning back on his phone. His olive eyes flickered up before he went back to whatever he was doing.

"How about thirty minutes, it looks like its going to rain, and so we do this, and then I leave. Understood?"

I shifted on my feet, my school bag hanging over the side of my shoulder as I waited for his reply. My first option was to just ditch and go home, but I had a feeling that would just get me in more trouble.

I'll rock up, get him to sign the sheet, or Mr. Griffith, whoever it was, take that shit, and then forge the signature for all the days and done. It wasn't that I didn't want to learn, I'll just do it at home. And I highly doubt Alistair was that good at Chemistry, and besides, my brother hated him.

If my brother got a whiff off this, I was going to be blamed, when really my teacher should be. And worse was, if he found out I was failing Chemistry, he might as well strangle me with his own hands.

"How about we just get started?" his deep voice brought me out of my daydream of different ways my brother could kill me.

"Huh?" I asked looking at him and realised he was waiting for me. With a sigh I dropped my bag trudging over to the seat and dragging it out, making as much noise as I can. Maybe if I be the wrost student he ever had to tutor, he would call it quits.

Yep, that's right, make him quit.

"Okay Charlotte," he said passing me a white sheet of paper, "I want you to finish and balance these chemical equations," I looked at the page, and my jaw dropped, only slightly.

There were nearly thirty equations on here, "B-balance?"

"You know how to balance right?" 

I nodded, how hard can it be. He rolled over a pencil and I looked at the yellow thing before grabbing it, you got this. Just do it all as fast as you can and then you can leave. Wait you better check first.

"Can I leave after this?"

He looked up from his phone, "I'll tell you what," he said suddenly leaning over catching me off guard, "You get every question right, and you can leave," he said and I could feel his warm breathe on my face before he pulled back, and the scent of spear mint from his chewing gum.

"Deal," I said unfazed, I hated mint. 

K + Cl2  = KCL

Well this had to be easy, there one K on the left, so there was one on the right. But there were two Cl's which means you add a 2 to KCl.

K + Cl2  = 2KCL

And now you add a 2 to K.

2K + Cl2  = 2KCL

I smiled, why was I so smart.

I looked up but he was too bsuy on his phone, okay Charlotte, this isn't that hard. You can do this, and you can leave. But my heart dropped when I looked at the next equation. 

C2H6 + O2 =  CO2 + H2O 

I took a deep breath twirling the pencil around in my hand, you got this, just think. There was two C's and one on the other side, which means put a 2 in front of CO2, which makes four oxygens and you add a 2 in front of O2. but then there is already a O in H2O.