Chapter one

"Well merlin" said Gwain, sitting dow next to him, "you look like a donkeys backside."

"Thanks a lot" merlin said sarcastically

"Seriously" said Gwain as he reached over to grab a boot he began to polish as he spoke "I have seen happier looking faces at funerals."

"Your doing wonders for my self-esteem, and will you give me that boot back" merlin said getting slightly anoyed.

"No" Gwain said, he held the boot out of Merlin's reach "I'm helping you."

"But your a knight, not a manservant like me you don't have to."

"But I want to." Gwain said. Merlin was really great full Gwain didn't have to help but he did, he was one of Merlin's best friends. Unlike Arthur (the biggest clotpole ever) who made him clean the whole patrols boots as a punishment for being late.

"Now" said Gwain "why the miserable face?"

"Arthur is making me go on a patrol with you guys" merlin sighed "I hate patrols, they never seem to end very well."

"Sure they do."

"Name one" merlin said as he chucked his polishing rag at Gwain's face "name one that went completely fine and nothing went wrong."

"Umm.." Gwain said as he scratched his head "how about when we went to the forest of Ascetir or the time when we went to the forest of Merendas?"

"We were attacked by bandits in the forest of Ascetir, I was captured by Morgana and in the forest of Merendas Arthur got attacked by that serket and was gravely injured"

"Oh yeah, I guess your right merlin. But this one will be absolutely fine there a first time for everything and all that."

Merlin huffed and rolled his eyes "well I guess so" but merlin still really didn't want to go.

"And anyway" Gwain continued " we still have days to prepare, we don't have to leave Camelot for another 3 days."

Merlin didn't bother to point out that they had only returned from the last patrol two days before (it had ended with Percival getting a cold and Elyian falling of his horse and spraining his wrist. To be honest it didn't go very well.) It had been over 2 years since Morgana betrayed Uther and the rest of camelot and Uther was just getting over the shock, he had been sending out patrols to find Morgana and bring her back so Uther could get his revenge.

"You have got that horrible mistrable face on again stop it, its depressing"

"Sorry" merlin mumbled

"So how's life going without Gaius ?" Gwain said after a couple of minuets silence.

"Oh you know less Gaiusie, I suppose"

Gwain let out a slight giggle "do you know when he will return?"

"No" merlin sighed

Gaius had been called out to a village right near the border of Camelot to cure a type of plague that was spreading. Uther had regrettably let Gaius go, so that left merlin on his own. Everyone kept asking merlin if he slep enough and he was eating properly, it was obvious they thought merlin couldn't cope on his own but merlin was doing just fine he had so many jobs to do for Arthur that he never really had time to relax.

"Well I think we are about done" Gwain said as he helped merlin gather the pairs of boots into his arms.

"Don't fall" Gwain said laughing as he waved to merlin and walked off.

Chapter 1 done please leave comments and vote if you like thanks for reading