𝑰

「冬」

Crunching leaves and branches could be heard as a little boy ran through the white-filled forest, his breathing getting heavier by the second.

"huff..huff.."

His eyes dart around the place to find any clue on where he was. He was lost!

When he felt like he couldn't go any longer, he slowed down his pace- which he immediately regretted. After slowing down a notch, he fell and tripped on a tree root. Scraping his knee in the process and landing face forward onto the snow.

He sat back up only to see his knee bleeding and the blood-stained snow below him. He was surprised for a second, not feeling anything- almost numb due to the adrenaline pumping, and perhaps the snow. before all the pain came kicking in, he wept.

His eyes were watery, his face scrunched up and his whimpers broke into a sob echoing in the forest.

He wanted his big brother.

He wanted him to fix his injury.

Where was he?

It wasn't until he heard rustling and leaves crunching, he quieted down his sobs. It sounded close, it was getting near him.

What if it was a wolf? Oh god have mercy on him, he didn't wanna die so young! He had to beat his older brother first! He wanted to be king!

When the rustling grew near, he crawled back in fear, sobbing even louder.

When it was close, he let out a blood-curdling scream while covering his face with his arms. It was going to eat him!

But instead of a bite, he heard a voice.

"H-Hey! It's fine! I'm not going to hurt you!"

And a female one at that.

He slowly lowered his arms to his side to see a pretty lady on her knees in front of him. (s/c) smooth skin, cheeks, and nose a tad bit red from the snow, pink lips, (h/c) locks that were scattered around her frame, and beautiful (e/c) eyes that stared at him filled with worry and concern. She wore a different attire from him, peasant clothes to be exact.

"Are you okay? What happened?" She asked. Her hand cupped his cheeks and checked his body if he was injured.

"I-I'm fine.." He croaked out.

"Your knees! Goodness! Let's get you patched up before this gets an infection.." She softly said and held out a hand for him.

He hesitantly took it and stood up, limping beside her.

She looked like she was familiar with her way through the forest since they quickly got out and to the capital. They passed by a few vendors until she stopped by at a blacksmith's.

A large man wearing an apron was working on bending the hot steel into a fine sword. Moments later he noticed the two and stopped.

"Hello, father" The lady greeted happily.

"Hello sweetheart, I see you're back! Did you deliver the food properly?" The man asked.

She nodded and looked down, "Of course father, and I also added wild berries!" Her father smiled at this, "You sure didn't forget those" He said and his eyes landed on the boy, "And who might this be?"

The petite girl smiled and said she needed to tend to his injury to which she pointed over his scraped knee.

The man nodded his head and continued with his work.