Chapter 3

Alicia dragged a reluctant Blair through the elevator. Realizing how ridiculous she looked, moaning and groaning about an interview, she yanked her slender wrist from Alicia's surprisingly tight grip and followed her friend towards Johnny's office. Alicia told his secretary who they were and the blond allowed them entrance.

"No, Dex. I haven't the slightest idea-" He stopped abruptly, looking up. "Never mind. Be there soon." He hung up and stood, smiling at Alicia and Blair. Johnny Harlan was tall and extremely handsome, with dirty blond hair and shining blue eyes, his wide, white smile complimenting his red lips. Alicia went over to him and hugged him.

Hard to believe they were no longer a couple.

"Alicia! I missed you!" He embraced her tightly.

Blair saw Alicia smile flirtatiously, her light brown eyes dark with lust. "I missed you, too, Johnny. Long time no see. Um, you remember Blair, right?"

Johnny looked up at a slightly pink brunette. "Blair Davenport. Beautiful and silent as ever. Still the wallflower, I see?"

"Johnny," she said as the blond embraced her. "Still the flirt, I see?"

"Of course," he said, a dazzling smirk crossing his lips. "Dexter is waiting for you."

"Dexter?"

"She doesn't know him by Dexter, Johnny," Alicia noted.

"Oh, my bad. I meant Mr. R."

Blair resisted the urge to roll her eyes and nodded, following Johnny to her hopefully new boss. She looked at the plaque beside his door. It read 'Richards, Dexter, CEO.'

Her stomach dropped. She was going to work for the CEO of Richards Enterprise... If I got the job.

Her palms began to sweat and her mouth became rather dry. She fixed the skirt that came past her knees, halfway to her ankles in a dark grey, argyle patten.

Alicia must have noticed this, because she went behind Blair and began massaging her shoulders, until Johnny opened the door. She dropped her eyes, hiding behind her extremely long lashes, and allowed Johnny to lead them into the CEO's office.

"Johnny," a deep, rich voice greeted. "How are you?"

"Pish-posh, Dex. Skip the formalities! We've been friends since I started working here."

Dexter, or Dex, as she assumed, chuckled. "Alright." He paused briefly, and Blair sensed a pair of eyes on her. She wanted to look up, not be so awkward, but she couldn't. "Oh, so we meet again, Ms. Ronaldo," Dexter said.

Alicia giggled and Johnny cleared his throat. Blair looked up quickly.

Oh, my God.

Dexter Richards was a god in disguise. He had dark brown hair, light brown eyes, and a brilliant smile. He hadn't made eye contact with me yet, but when he did, he dropped Alicia's hand, which he had flirtatiously brought to his lips.

"So, you're Blair, I assume." Blair blinked, unable to speak. Realizing that she was just staring at him, she nodded. Damn. She'd never been able to act like a normal person around men. The other night, when Alicia took her to the bar...

She didn't even want to think about it.

She was only dancing then because she was extremely intoxicated.

"Do you talk? I need an assistant who can talk."

"She's just shy, Dex. She'll warm up. I promise. And she makes killer brownies," Johnny added.

Dex sat down in his chair. "Are you familiar with Microsoft PowerPoint?" Blair nodded. "Alright. Well, I have some paperwork here. I'm giving you a week. If you can turn this into a PowerPoint presentation and prove yourself, then you get the job." She blinked and nodded, accepting his request. "When do you think you can have it done by, Ms..."

"Davenport," Alicia whispered.

I must seem extremely incompetent, she thought.

"Yes, Ms. Davenport. My bad, I apologize. When do you think you can have it done by?"

Gathering up all her courage, she looked the CEO in the eye. "When do you need it by, sir?"

"Oh, so she speaks! Okay. I need it by next week, but I'd like to have it done within four days. Can you handle that?"

"I'll have it done within three days, Mr. Richards."

"Wonderful! I'm counting on you, Ms. Davenport. If you can do this, I'll give you the job. I have your word, I'm trusting you with this."

"I understand, Mr. Richards."

"Oh, and one more thing?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Everyone calls me Dex, Dexter, and, behind my back, the Big Asshole. Mr. Richards and sir make me feel old. I'm only thirty-one."

She tried to hide her smile. "Alright. I'll be back in three days with your presentation."

"I like your sudden confidence, Ms. Davenport."

"I'll make a deal with you. I'll only call you Dex, if and only if you call me Blair. Ms. Davenport makes me feel fifty; not twenty-eight."

He chuckled and held out his hand. "It's a deal. I have a good feeling about you, Blair. Don't let me down."

She took his hand, butterflies erupting in her stomach and a slight brush appearing on her cheeks. "I won't."