6 - Rescue

'The basement!?!' I looked at Claude in utter disbelief...

  "Claude you know that place drives her insane." I said in a calm voice to avoid Amaranth who is sitting outside to worry.

  "I know. But figured she drives me insane so why not just return the favour." Claude said smirking taking out the keys to the basement and twirling it in his finger.

  "That's not how you treat a child." I rebutted.

  I admit I am quite horrible with children but even I am not this bad!

  "Claude. Pass me the key before I come and snatch it from you." I am not one to lose my temper but my dear 'brother' is making me tip.

  "Oh? Why should I pass it to you?" Claude said acting like this whole thing is a game.

  "Ok fine! I quit!" I said opening the door about to exit.

  Claude immediately sat up and threw the key at me fast.

  Not like an under hand throw.

  More like throwing darts kind of throw.

  "Get that brat out of the basement and go back to your job tomorrow!" Claude snarled.

  "See. I told you, you can't fire me." I said catching the keys giving a sly grin before exiting the room.

~Amaranth POV~

  'Uncle Felix told me to stay out here... But what if something happen to sissy!'

  'Im just going to listen in a little bit...' I put my ear by the door as I attempted to listen to what was going on.

  "Tell me where. Is. Athy." I heard uncle Felix say

  "In the basement."

  'Sissy is in the basement...?' without a second throught I started running my tiny legs to the basement door.

  'I know sissy tells me not to do this but... Sissy is in danger!' My sissy gave me a lock pick before and I always carry it around in my hair as a pin.

  'Sissy tells me to use it only when needed since it's good to know! And now it's the perfect time to test my skills!' I reached for my pin and started trying to lockpick the door which was too tall for me.

  'Chair! Mara needs a chair!' I ran over to the kitchen which had a few chairs.

  I dragged one of them so that I could stand on top of it and reach for the door knob.

  'Mara will save sissy!' I started getting to work.

  'This looks hard... Can't be harder then Maras puzzles!' I had determination to pick this door.

  After a few attempt I opened it.

  'Yay! Go mara!' I cheered for myself as I got off the chair carefully and opened the door.

  'Mara has never been to the basement before...' I looked at the steps as a sudden wave of nervousness comes to me.

  'Mara will save sissy!' I shook off my nervousness as I slowly went down the steep steps.

  "Sissy...?" I asked cautiously as I held onto the side railing to make sure I didn't fall off.

  My voice echoed through the wall of the basement which just shows how empty this place is.

  'Mara needs a torch light...' I ran up the stairs to look for a torch light of some sort.

  'Jennette's phone is there...' I know I shouldn't take Jennette's phone but sissy was more important then me getting scolded!

  'Jennette is stupid she doesn't put a lock combo.' I knew that for a fact as I grabbed Jennette's phone which had a pick casing with silver stripes down the cover.

  I used Jennette's phone as I torch light and started looking around the basement for Sissy.

  "Sissy...?" I called again and had no reply only the echos of my own voice...

  'Eww... There are so many cobwebs...' I was disgusted by the amount of deeply crawlers there were right now.

  'Its cold too...' I shivered slightly as I got deeper into the basement to find sissy.

  'Is that sissy?' I walked through a cobweb and saw sissy lying on the ground unconscious.

  "SISSY!" I yelled the echoing of the walls helped my voice sound much louder then I actually was.

  "Mara!" I heard uncle Felix yell as a hurry of footsteps was also heard.

  "Uncle Felix help Sissy!" I begged, commanded and requested at the same time.

  Uncle Felix looked at Sissy and his face visibly paled as he carried her and started running up the stairs.

  "Her breathing seems stable we can just bring sissy to the room and let her rest there." Uncle Felix shouted as he got too far away for me to catch up with with my tiny legs.

~Felix POV~

  'That bloody lame excuse of a father!' I cursed in my head as I carried Athy up the stairs to her room.

  'Last time this happened at least she was still consious but now she's like a dead body with a heart beat!' I opened her room with my elbow was I laid her on the bed.

  'Lil' is going to scream when she hears about this...' I sighed as sat in the edge of the bed.

  "Uncle Fel.. sissy... Is she going to be ok...?" I saw Amaranth who I has completely forgotten standing at the door panting.

  'She's going to start calling me uncle Fel from now on isn't she...'

  "Sissy is fine she just needs some fresh air and probably warmth since its dressing down there with the rain and the broken heater." I said reassuring Amaranth as I lifted her up to sit beside her sissy.

  Athanasia's room has a queen sized bed since sometimes she needs to show her room so that's the only reason why she even has a luxurious bed room.

  "Poor sissy..." I heard Amaranth say.

  'They really are the best sisters... To think that Amaranth went down to that cold, dirty, dark and inhuman place for Athy... Wait... How did she even get down there!'

  "Mara...? How did you get into the basement...?" I asked.

  I saw how Amaranth froze up and robotically turn her head towards me.

  'What happened...?' I raised an eye brow and tilted my head to show her confusion.

  "Promise you won't scold sissy for this?" Amaranth said holding out a pinky finger.

  "Promise."

  'I don't think Athy can do anything bad to begin with...'

  "Sissy taught Mara to lock pick." Amaranth said putting her head down and staring at Athy's face.

  "That makes sense... That explains why you suddenly started wearing a hair clip even though you don't need one and... Why do you have Jennette's phone...?" I asked only now noticing the pink and silver striped phone.

  "It was dark down there so Amaranth borrowed Jennette's phone for a light." Amaranth said putting her hands on her hips looking very proud of herself.

  "I'm guessing you took the chair to get high enough to reach the door knob...?" I asked acknowledging that I did see the chair there.

  "Yes! Isn't Mara soooooo smart!" Amaranth said with a smile very proud of herself.

  'That is quite smart for most kids her age... Most of them would whine when they can't get something done but Mara isn't like them Mara would find a solution.'

  "Mara take care of sissy ok? Ill pass back Jennette's phone to her and put the chair back. I'll be up shortly." I said getting a nod from Mara as she passed me Jennette's phone and I exited the room.