Chapter 8

Two weeks later, Rapunzel and Lily are 6 weeks pregnant and are at the hospital with Will. They are waiting to be called back to have the blood test and see the babies.

Rapunzel is playing with her dolls that she brought while waiting. While she is playing with the dolls, she asks her parents a question.

Rapunzel. Mommy, daddy. Why do I have to be pregnant for nine months?

Lily. Because that is how long women are usually pregnant for. However, some women are pregnant for 5 months or 3 or 7, or even 10 if the baby arrives late. Some women have miscarriages so they don't get to see their baby, and sometimes the baby is born dead, and that is called a stillborn baby. And premature babies are smaller than a baby born at nine months, and babies born after the due date are bigger.

Rapunzel. Okay. That makes sense. Hopefully, I make it to nine months. My sibling and child will both be the same age and they will both be three years younger than me. Will my baby know that I am his or her mother?

Will. He or she will know that you are their mother. And they are going to love you very much, just like you love them very much. And although we are going to be grandparents at a very early age, we are very happy and excited. And we are very happy and excited to meet your sister and brother.

Rapunzel. I am also very happy and excited to meet my daughter or son as well as my brother or sister.

A few minutes later, the three of them are called back to an examination room.

Patricia. Good morning. So the two of you are here for a blood test and ultrasound?

Lily. Yes. Both of us were raped by my ex and we both became pregnant. We have the positive home pregnancy tests right here.

She hands the tests to the nurse and she puts them into a bag and gets the stuff ready to draw their blood.

Patricia: So Mrs. Johnson are you afraid of needles or blood?

Lily. No. I have never had any problems with needles or blood. However, I am hoping this pregnancy is viable but I have never been able to get pregnant, and if I did, I always experienced a miscarriage at 7 weeks.

Patricia. Well the doctor and I will help you through that and make sure that this pregnancy ends with a healthy baby. If you don't mind, I need you to roll your sleeve up past your elbow. I am going to draw blood from the vein on the underneath side.

Lily. Of course.

Lily rolls her sleeve past her elbow and lays her hand on the arm rest with her palm facing up. Patricia ties a cloth around the upper arm and one around the lower arm. She cleans the area and then takes a sample of blood. She puts the sample into a vial and puts a band-aid on the area that she took the blood.

Rapunzel hides behind her father, knowing that she's next to have her blood drawn.

Patricia kneels down to her level. It's alright darling. We can make it a game. If you give me a really tight hug with one arm, then the needle will be fed your blood. And then the blood can go in this vial and be sent to the lab. And the best thing is that you can have a lollipop at the end.

Rapunzel smiles and sits in the chair. She watches as the nurse prepared her arm the same way she did for Lily, and then gets the needle ready.

Patricia. Are you ready?

Rapunzel nods her head. She lays her left arm on the arm rest with her palm facing up and gets ready to give Patricia a hug with her other arm.

Patricia. One.... Two..... Three.

Rapunzel gives the nurse a tight hug and doesn't even feel the needle go in.

Patricia. All done. Good job.

Rapunzel smiles as she looks at the blood being put into the vial and then being given an Elsa band-aid. She is also given a lollipop and she starts eating it.

Patricia. I will have these sent to the lab and have the results in 20 minutes. Then we can do the ultrasound for both of you. Until then, the three of you can relax.

Lily. Thank you.

Patricia leaves to take the vials of blood to the lab for testing. 20 minutes later, the results are in, and Patricia comes back into the room with the doctor.

Patricia. Hello again. This is Doctor Victoria Pamela. She is here to talk to the two of you about the results of the blood tests. And I am here to explain it to Rapunzel if that's okay with you.

Lily. Of course.

Victoria. Hello. So, the results are in, and they are both positive. You are both pregnant. Now we are going to do an ultrasound.

Rapunzel. What is that?

Patricia. You lay down on a table and pull your shirt up to show your abdomen, and a gel is put on your abdomen. The gel is cold and there is a wand that is moved around the gel and the wand is connected to the computer and it shows the baby inside of you. It doesn't hurt at all.

Rapunzel. Okay. I'm good with that.

The five of them go into an ultrasound room. Lily and Rapunzel get on to each of their tables and lay down. They pull their shirts up and flinch a little at the coldness of the gel. They then feel the wand being placed on their abdomens. Seconds later, they each see their babies on the two screens. The one on the left is the child inside of Lily and the one on the right is the child inside of Rapunzel.

Victoria plays the sound of each baby's heartbeat. Both babies have very strong heartbeats.

Lily. That's wonderful. She looks over and sees Rapunzel looking confused at the screen for her child.

Lily. Rapunzel dear. What's wrong?

Rapunzel. Why is my child and sibling so small? When I was born, I was 6 pounds and 21 inches long.

Victoria. That is because your child and sibling still have 34 more weeks to grow until they are born.

Rapunzel. Oh, okay.

Lily. How does it feel to see your baby growing inside you?

Rapunzel. It's amazing. How do I know if he or she is still growing when I can't see it?

Lily. By the symptoms such as the eating and sickness and pains and your baby bump growing and from the baby kicking when you get to that point.

Rapunzel. Do I get to have other ultrasounds? And do I have to have other tests done?

Patricia. Yes, you get to have other ultrasounds and you will have to have one more test at 28 weeks to test for gestational diabetes. And we would like to see you both at 10 weeks to give a more accurate due date and to determine how many babies each of you are going to have.

Lily. Alright. We will make an appointment for our 10 week ultrasound on October 9th.

Patricia gives them photos of their babies and Lily and Rapunzel wipe off the gel and pull their shirts down. They get off the tables, and leave the room with Will. The three of them make their way to the waiting room and make their appointment.

The three of them make their way to their car and drive home. Lily and Rapunzel go into the room and get snacks. Rapunzel gets chocolate chip cookies and Lily gets lemon creme crepes.

Will. How are the two of you feeling?

Rapunzel. Really great. I can't wait to find out the due date and how many babies I am carrying and how many siblings mommy is carrying.

Lily. Neither can I sweetheart.

Soon, the family has dinner and gets ready for bed and snuggles under the covers of their respective beds.