ring for blood (part 4)

"just close you eyesthe sun is going down"

the sun is going down"

"you'll be alright
no one can hurt you now"

♠ ♥ ♦ ♠

"Out in the park, we watch the sunset,
Talking on a rusty swing set
After a while you went quiet, And I got mean"
[ i know the end - phoebe bridgers ]

"I'm cold," Taylor complained, snuggling into her jacket.

"It's barely Autumn, and we're in LA," Joe scoffed. "How the hell."

"I'm cold," she repeated.

The two were talking on a rusty swing set in an abandoned park. The sun was setting already, and the cool air blew against their faces as they swayed back and forth.

"You know, you're my best friend," Joe said.

"Am I getting friendzoned? I thought we were dating," Taylor said.

"No, it's like, I can tease you all day like your friend even though we're a couple and you're genuinely my best friend. I can talk to you about everything, and yeah. I'm sorry if it's weird to you."

"I get it," she nodded thoughtfully. "It's like, I can kiss you but I can also gossip with you, you know?"

"Gossip," Joe chuckled. "One of my favourite past times with you."

"Can you tell me more about your turtles?" Taylor asked, using legs to propel the swing into motion.

"Ah, my lovely turtles." Joe grinned. "What about them?"

"Anything," Taylor laughed, amused. "What were their names?"

"So I had two turtles when I was about six or seven, and I named them after John Lennon."

"You love naming your pets after Beatles things," she smiled. "Like Rainbow Starr."

"That poor little fish." Joe sighed. "I'll tell you about it another time. But anyways, I was only around six, and I heard about the Beatles from my parents. I guess my hearing wasn't great, so I always thought it was John Lemon, up till maybe the age of ten."

"No," Taylor giggled. "You didn't."

"I did," Joe said. "So they were my turtles, Mr. John and Mr. Lemon. I think those names amused my parents quite a bit," Joe continued.

"I love those names," Taylor said, nodding approvingly.

"So those two little turtles were my best friends, until you came along, of course. And every day after school I would rush home and see them, and sometimes I even brought some school friends over just to show them."