a million little shining stars

"And they're all standing around me singing"

around me singing"

"Happy Birthday to you
but there was one thing missing..."

♠ ♥ ♦ ♠

February 21st, 2016
London, UK

Joe ran his hands through his hand and took another swig of his beer. He was disappointed, but deep down he knew that he shouldn't have had his hopes so high up. It was his fault, really. Of course Taylor Swift, multi millionaire, ten time grammy award winner and pop superstar, would not have time to go to some unknown British actor's birthday party.

They met a month ago at a bar in New York through some common friends, and that night things... escalated, leading them to stumble on to her Tribeca apartment and have sex. They then decided to become friends with benefits, much to his dismay, as he was developing some kind of deep infatuation for the blonde woman. He had spontaneously invited her to his birthday party, which was obviously, right now.

There was nothing much here, it wasn't really a big one, but he had some of his mates and long time friends get together for some drinks and games. His friends had rented out a restaurant pub and they were all sprawled out on the chairs, half passed out. The night was almost over— he could sense it, but he kept pushing the thoughts away so he could give Taylor a bit of a leeway. Throughout the night, the non-sober part of his brain kept replaying the same thought that Taylor was just late.

If that was really the case, she would be almost five hours late. Yet deep down he knew he should just shove those hopes down and flush them down with another beer, since she was most likely winning another award, or on a date with some immensely famous celebrity, or even just home cuddling with her cats he had gotten so acquainted with. She must have forgotten about this days or even weeks ago, or maybe she never even marked it down onto her calendar. Thinking logically, why would she even try to remember?

He knew this would happen— it was inevitable. After filming stopped, he would return to London, and forget all about the glamour and stardom and beauty of New York. She would forget about him, and most certainly their fling. But he would remember her. Undoubtedly he would. He would remember how her bangs were splayed out all over her face every morning, how her blue eyes shimmered when she got a new song idea, how she would bite her lip when she was thinking of song lyrics.

"Joe, mate, I think I'm going to head home," his friend Jesse patted him on the back. "Happy Birthday."

Joe gave a smile in response, still lost in his thoughts. By the time all of his friends had left, he was still sitting in the pub, drinking yet another pint of beer. After all, it was only 11:30, and the pub was rented out until 12, so why not make the most out of it?

Just as he was downing the last sip, he signed in defeat. It wasn't a bad night, but Taylor being here would've made it better. He waved slightly at the pub owner who nodded back at him, and grabbed his jacket to exit the cozy room.