Chapter Ten

Marinette's POV:

My cold has gone away, and I can go back to school. I made my way downstairs after getting ready. I made myself breakfast, and my mom came into the kitchen and greeted me, "Good morning, honey; you seem so much better."

I smiled, "Finally free from being sick." My mom said, "Honey, you need to hurry; I don't want you to be late." I nodded, grabbing a piece of toast with strawberry jam on it while eating on the way to school.

I saw Kagami. I ran up to her, hugged her from behind, and brightly smiled, "Gami! I missed you so much." Seeing Kagami's face blush bright red was amusing, so I teased, "Are you blushing?"

"Are you that happy to see me?" She asked shyly, smiling.

"Of course I am Gami," I answered honestly, and she looked beautiful like always.

I looked at her; she had a serious expression on her face. She sighed. "We can't be doing this anymore." I asked, "Doing what?" She crossed her arms sternly, saying, "The blackmail—I'm sick of it."

I frowned and said, "I wanted to forget that."

Kagami's look has softened a bit. "I know you do, but you can't stop the world from knowing about us."

I stammered, "I'm s-scared for the b-both of us!" She grabbed my hands and said, "I won't let them hurt you." I gulped, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I whispered, "Who would want to hurt me, Gami?" My heart began pounding rapidly. Her smile grew soft. "Everyone who tries to turn against us."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me, and I hugged her tightly, softly crying, "I love you, Gami." She kissed my cheek and smiled, "I love you too, Marinette."

I wiped the tear stains off my face before I continued walking with her. We walked together for several minutes in comfortable silence until she broke the silence again. "Should we report Chloe to the principal or to the police station?"

I thought for a second, "I don't think they'll do anything. You know when she threatens to call her dad, they all cower in fear." Kagami nodded.  As we reached our lockers, I added, "We're going to need evidence before we say anything."

Kagami agreed  "What do you suggest we do?"

I sighed as I dug through my backpack. "We could confront Chloe or record her when she threatens us." She nodded, "That could work; I don't think anyone would believe us though."

I frowned  "You think so?" She apologized, "I don't mean to bring down the mood, sorry." I shook my head. "It's fine. Let's just get to class."

As we entered the class, we had a substitute, and thankfully I sat next to Kagami in the back row since I wanted to make a plan with her about getting evidence against Chloe.

In perfect timing, Chloe came up to us. I quickly pressed record as I placed my phone face-down on my lap.

Chloe laughed, "Surprised seeing you two together now I'm hoping y'all aren't forgetting about my deal." Kagami sarcastically said, "Really? I totally forgot."

Chloe scowled  "Don't try me, you little shithead. One press of a button and your pictures get leaked everywhere."

Kagami hissed  "Whatever."  I couldn't stop a smirk from spreading across my face. It was nice to finally have the upper hand in these situations.

Chloe flipped her hair and smirked, "With these photos, I can make you two my servants." She walked back to her seat.

The substitute announced, "Good morning everyone, I'm Ms. Merryweather. We'll be heading to the library after I take attendance."