Prologue

Are you there?

Do you hear my footsteps or hear the soft breath that escapes my lips?

Do you feel my pain, each throbbing pang of heartache that twists my guts into knots and makes my head pound like the sudden crash of a thunderous storm?

Do you see me now, broken and lost, adrift in the darkness and all alone save for this agony that consumes me?

Do you even think about me anymore? Or did you just leave me to make my own way through life and never give me another thought?

I think about you all the time. I think about those first moments with you; the ones Lucius showed me. I think of the weight of your touch and its capacity to cause pain just as equally as it could evoke comfort and peace. I think about your voice and wonder, if I heard it now would I remember it? Or whether it would remain as just another memory buried, just another corpse left to rot and forget.

After all, there is so much to forget, is there not?

I have forgotten how to feel. I have forgotten how to think. You have taken that from me and now I am stuck between the creature I have become and the one you created me to be.

But this I do know: Broken I might be, but I am not beaten. And I am lost right now, but know that I am going to find you and when I do, you're going to tell me it all. Every tiny detail. Every thundering revelation.

Do you hear me now, my creator, my father?

Michael, the great warrior, the great protector, leader of the Army of God, you're going to listen to me and then you're going to tell me everything.