17

CHAPTER 17

I couldn't help the slight shiver that raked through my body and I smiled sweetly at him.

"I wondered where you ran off to" I said punching him playfully on his arm

"I had work to do here at the keep"

"Work?" I asked my face scrunching up in confusion

"Teddy is a watcher, a sort of warrior at the keep. He is always so secretive, it's not like it is something that should be kept secret" Selena said rolling her eyes.

"I wasn't keeping it a secret" he said defensively.

"Yeah right." Selena replied folding her arms across her chest. "How come your girlfriend doesn't know what you do?"

"It just", I watched with amusement as Theodore scratched his hair nervously. "It never came up"

"Whatever guys" I said interrupting Selena when she looked like she was about to throw a come back

"What's a watcher anyway?" I asked. I actually wanted to know. Theodore and I have been dating for weeks and I still feel like there were a lot of things I didn't know about him. I couldn't help feeling a bit insecure. Selena was right Theodore can be tad secretive. "It's a warrior of sorts, pretty big deal around here" Selena said with a gleam in her eyes. She must enjoy teasing Theodore a lot. I couldn't blame her really. Theodore made it so easy to rile him up.

"It is not a warrior, more like protectors." He argued defensively. "Guards if you will."

"Same difference." Selena said sweetly and sashayed away.

"So that's what you do in your free time." I said jokingly when Selena was out of hearing distance.

"I didn't mean it as a secret. It honestly just never came up." He said with pleading eyes.

"come on, you are letting Selena get to you' I replied with a short laugh. "I can't be upset over something like..." before I could complete my sentence he let out a sigh of relief. The poor thing. It takes a lot to put up with a sister like Selena. Now that I think about it, it all make sense, the night in his parent mansion when I saw him all wounded. I never asked about what happened that night and I had forgotten about it until today. That explains everything.

"Doing something like that. You are just twenty-one!" I said genuinely appalled. He is not older than me by a lot, twenty-one years old is truly too young to be doing something dangerous like that.

"Someone has to do it right?" he said patting my cheeks affectionately. "Besides, I love what I do"

"But, why couldn't you wait though" I asked "you are too young to be doing something this dangerous".

"They are few born with defensive magic, and a lot of people to train. I've not seen anyone with defensive magic in your age group part from you. Well you don't really count since you are a white flasher".

"There you go again. I have never really figure out what all that means"

"it means you are magic itself." The statement came from a white bearded man. I couldn't help but compare him to the usual pictures of wizards you see in children stories. He had the beards and robes and everything, just a staff and a hat and he'd be perfect.

"Sir Robin." Theodore said, his face breaking into a fond smile. Wait, Robin? Come on! "I didn't know you were at the keep".

"I wasn't, I just arrived. Bryant told me the Mage could be at it again."

With all the excitement of this morning I didn't even think about my family. I couldn't help the feeling of guilt that was starting to brew deep in my gut. I am a terrible sister and daughter just horrible.