Chapter Six

"Jaybird!" Dick slammed open the door to Jason's room. "I need to know if you have a picture of your sister!"

Jason snapped his head up from where he was reading Pride and Prejudice. "What the fuck, Dick?"

Dick was breathing heavily, he had run all the way from the driveway. It really wasn't a long way but Dick was too excited to breathe properly. "I need to know if you have a picture of your sister!"

He was rushing his words, far too excited about the possibility that Marinette was the Marinette that Jason's sister.

Jason narrowed his eyes, "Why?"

"Jason! Just tell me, it's life or death." Okay so maybe not really, but it was still important.

"I have one." Jason started to rummage through his desk drawer. "Uh...here it is."

He handed the picture to Dick, who scanned it quickly.

In the photo, a girl--who Dick assumed was Marinette--was in the middle of jumping on Jason's back, she had her eyes closed and a large grin on her face. She was missing one of her front teeth. Jason was caught mid-laugh, one of his eyes was close, squinting into the sunlight.

And it was her. Marinette was Jason's sister.

The small smile on Dick's face grew to a grin. "It's her. Jay it's her!"

"No shit."

"No, I mean it's her. I met her today!" Dick looked up at Jason.

"What?" Jason's voice cracked, it worried Dick. "What do you mean you met her."

"She's on a trip to Gotham with her class! She's been living in Paris!"

Jason was very, alarmingly pale. "Jay?" Dick asked.

"She's--she's in Gotham?" Suddenly Jason lunged forward to grab Dick's arms and shake him. "Are you sure? How can she--no, nevermind. I'm not gonna get my hopes up until I see her for myself." By the end of his ramble, Jason was mostly talking to himself.

"Well you can come with me to Ivy's gardens tomorrow. That's where she said they'd be going next."

Jason's head snapped up. "Why were you talking to her?"

He was already going into overprotective brother mode, Dick thought.

"I was her tour guide, Jay. And before that I gave her a ride to WE because her class left her behind." Dick attempted to pry Jay's hands off his arms, but to no avail.

"They did what? What would they leave her behind! We're in Gotham for fucks sake!"

Maybe he shouldn't have said that.

Jason was shaking Dick enough to make his head whip back and forth.

"She wouldn't tell me, alright? All she said was something about some lying brat. Only she didn't say brat." Dick grimaced, the two shared an affinity for swear words.

"Well, I'll kill that lying bitch then!" Jason finally let go of Dick's arms to stomp over to his closet, where he kept an almost frighteningly large amount of guns.

Dick sighed, Jason was getting more murder-y by the second. "Jaybird, you can't kill a kid. And you're a good guy now, remember?"

Jason was swearing under his breath and shoving his guns back into the closet.

"So now that I've dropped a bomb, why don't you think about what you're gonna say to Marinette when she sees you. You are dead, afterall." Dick turned to leave but paused in the doorframe. "And just--just don't kill anyone."