CHAPTER EIGHT ⎯ THE CHOKE UP

"Oh

"Oh. Okay, I think I've got something, Delores." Five stated as he stood on his bed.

Right now, both me and Five sat on his bed while writing calculations on his wall. I recommended paper, but you all know how stubborn Five is, so he insisted that he wrote on the wall. 

Plus, he wrote a lot. I wondered how he was going to erase this all later.

While he wrote, I sat there and watched. I felt sleepy and Five offered that I took a nap, but I kindly declined. I wanted to help him. Occasionally, he would ask me something he didn't know or would ask me for the millionth cup of coffee he drank that day.

From a far, I heard footsteps approaching. I turned around to see the one and only, Luther Hargreeves. "It's tenuous, but promising." Five continued, telling both me and the so called "Delores".

"What is all this?" Luther asked, snapping Five out of his focused mode. "It's a probability map." Five said, tapping the chalk on the wall. "Probability of what?" Luther questioned, confused.

"Of whose death could save the world." Five said. "And we narrowed it down to four." I added. "Are you saying one of these four people causes the apocalypse?" Luther asked, stepping more into Five's small room. "No, We're saying that their death might prevent it." 

"Oh."

Five continued to write and finally circled a man's name. "I'm not following." Luther said. 

"Time is fickle, Luther. The slightest alteration in events can lead to massively different outcomes in the time continuum. The butterfly effect. So all I have to do is find the people with the greatest probability of impacting the time line, wherever they may be, and kill them."

As Five said that to Luther, Five got off the bed and took at something from under his bed. Meanwhile, Luther stepped forward and read all the calculations on the wall. "Milton Greene. So who's he, a terrorist or something?" Luther asked. 

I stepped forward to Luther, also looking at the work written on the wall. I examined it to check for mistakes. "I believe he is a gardener." Five stated.

Apparently the black bag under his bed was a shot gun. "You can't be serious. Wait, this is madness, Five. You-" Luther said, before also noticing the gun in Five's tiny hands. 

"Wh- Where'd you get that?" Luther stuttered as he saw the big gun. "In Dad's room." Five replied quickly, keeping his attention on the gun. He made sure it was ready to kill people. 

"I think he used it to shoot a rhinoceros. It's similar to the model I used at work. Nice shoulder fit and highly reliable." Five said, making me wonder why Dad would want to shoot rhinoceros. 

"But you can't- This guy Milton is just an innocent man." Luther said. I rolled my eyes and continued to watch Five fix the gun. 

"It's basic math. His death could potentially save the lives of billions. If he did nothing, he'd be dead in four days anyway. The apocalypse won't spare anyone." I said. Luther looked down at me and frowned before turning his attention back to Five.